We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ever drive the south?

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone ever drive the south?

Anyone drive between Myrtos and Agii Deka/Mires?

If so how was it? Travel time? road conditions?

Maps show a main looking road, but this one ( www.west-crete.com/mapeastcrete_100kb.htm )makes it look like the first thing it does is go right up a mountain heading west from Myrtos... is this why no one seems to do this?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Hi abgoing

I've driven that route a few times and it's a s good or bad as anywhere else on Crete. The road is very twisty and steep in places but is all black top. By my reckoning it's about 80 kms and I would allow two hours at least to drive the route safely and of course to admire the scenery.

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Thanks, I'm glad to hear someone has actually done this.

I was beginning to wonder if any one had.

So if I'm at Gournia and want to get to Phaestos (for the next day, not attempting to see both in one day!) It would be reasonable to loop on down and not just retrace my way across the north?

How steep is steep? It's just that I've seen some very steep roads in towns in my time, but driving on mountains, although the road climbs high is rarely steep... Northern California is my reference point for this.

Not so steep that a little rental car wouldn't make it right?

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Clarification something like a 6% grade is considered steep on mountain hiways here, but is not nearly anything compared to something like Lombard st in San Francisco or Marin ave in Berkeley, which are nearly vertical. I had nightmares about Marin for years.

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Thanks, I'm glad to hear someone has actually done this.

I was beginning to wonder if any one had.

So if I'm at Gournia and want to get to Phaestos (for the next day, not attempting to see both in one day!) It would be reasonable to loop on down and not just retrace my way across the north?

How steep is steep? It's just that I've seen some very steep roads in towns in my time, but driving on mountains, although the road climbs high is rarely steep... Northern California is my reference point for this.

Not so steep that a little rental car wouldn't make it right?

south wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

I have done this drive, and visited both sites in one day.

It is a long drive, and some of the roads are a bit twisty, but the worst part was driving through the towns, but it was definately worth while. Scenery is beautiful once you leave greenhouse land.

Myrtos is a fantasic place to stay, small and friendly with some good places to eat , Ierapetra is also a good base if you want to go east.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Hi again abgoing

You guys measure gradients differently I believe - a 6% grade I think would be about what we would call a 1 in 17 slope, i.e. for each 17 feet of forward motion, the road raises by one foot. If that is correct, then there are many hills and gradients on Crete that are WAY steeper than that - for example, some of the hairpin bends leading up to the Lassithi plateau are also on 1 in 7 gradients which you'd call a 16% grade? There are road grades in North Devon in the UK of 25%, or 1 in 4, believe me, that's a wall to climb!!

As long as you rent a car with at least a 1.3-1.6 litre engine you'll be fine but it's no fun if you hire a Fiat Panda or similar.

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

All the models listed on rental sites are different from the models of cars here. What are some powerful enough, but still small cars?

I do drive manual transmission. Some of these hills would require low gears?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

Hi again

Some of the hills you'll encounter on Crete will require second or even first gear work in a few places. Most car rental companies give the engine size so it should be OK to make a choice. Many of the islands favour models like the Hyundai Accent which has a 1.3 litre engine or the Suzuki Jimny which also is 1.3 litre. If the brochures don't give the engine size, just ask the guy at the rental firm, he'll know.

Don't even conside anything like a Fiat Panda or Cinquecento, it'll run out of steam especially if you have a car full.

9. Re: Anyone ever drive the south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 01:18