We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Manchester
Level Contributor
683 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Obviously with all the grief that Thomson have created they will face a backlash of negative publicity due to the Sensatori fiasco.

But as a wider issue, three questions spring to my mind. I'm not just posting about Sensatori, but the whole 'artist's impression' thing

1 Should artist's impressions be allowed at all - let's face it, it means the hotel / apartments / resort are NOT BUILT YET

2 Are they clearly (enough) marked as artist's impressions

3 Would you book / book one again

My answers are

1 Yes, but if the destination is not finished or as described the hol co' should take it on the chin and provide a full refund plus an extra amount. After all, they've enjoyed your deposits in their accounts earning interest. Problems do occur, it's how a firm deals with them that's important and how they should be judged

2 No, I think the hol co' and / or travel agent should make it very clear that the place is not even off the drawing board, never mind on the map. When I sell a product I have to describe in full what it covers, what is does not cover and what the benefits / drawbacks are - as if to a child. I think (most) hol co's and TA's just sell. Full stop

3 No. I would not. But then again, I wouldn't book anywhere that I could not get an independent review from a site like this one. In fact, 'no information' is not good enough, I want good reviews of the place I'm staying. I am truly astounded when people book a hol and then come on a site to find out if it's decent / their type of thing / built yet

Anyway, that's my opinion - what's yours

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Hi there TB

How many times a week do I find postings on this forum from folk along the lines of, "we've just booked hotel/apartment/villa "X" - can anyone tell us what it's like, is it in a good location, what are the local amenities, how far from the beach, is there a fridge in the kitchen, does it have aircon", and so on. I'm sure a fairly high proportion book somewhere because they like the name or they've seen a glossy illustration in a brochure somewhere.

I'm sure I speak for most folk here when I say that I work hard all year for a few week's holiday and I would never book anywhere on that basis. As a result, a bit of research and pre-planning, we've NEVER had a holiday anywhere where we've felt let down or that the places fell short of expectations.

I don't know whether the people who post the aforementioned type of questions are plain lazy, out-and-out optimists or what......

Manchester
Level Contributor
683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Morning GB

I agree with you. In fact, I enjoy making the enquires and researching the places we stay. Ok, it could be thought as 'a bit sad' but we've never had a naff place. I've not booked via a TA since a friend of mine left a travel agent - I trusted her but I still researched the places she suggested or went to her with places I had found.

Measure twice, cut once.

DA

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

But how did we manage before this wonderful invention called the internet? When I first started holidaying abroad, back in the mid 80s, you did exactly that, found a piture you liked in the brochure, in the price range you could afford and if you were very luck the TA you boked with may have had some feedback from prvious customers. Even then I can never remember being very disappointed, even when we ended up in a small Santorini shoe box :-) Maybe because of all the information available today our expectations and now that much greater?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Hi Jules

I totally agree with you but now that all this info IS available, it staggers me that there re so many enquiries for info from people who it would seem are too lazy to simply "Google" what they are looking for. As The Boy says, it's half the fun of organising a trip and you can usually find a wealth of info for anywhere inside 15 minutes, photos, videos, reviews, etc, etc.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

Oh I'm the biggest planner there is GB, scouring websites and guide books gathering information, maps etc. before going anywhere. It drives my other half made before we go, but after the holiday he always says that the planning I've put in place makes for a much better holiday.

I also agree with what The Boy said initially, and I'm another one who wouldn't dream of booking anywhere unless I've read various independant reviews of the place, or as in the appartments we now stay at in Crete, went and had a look at the rooms myself before booking them up for the next year. I'd be much too nervous to book from an artist's impression, but then again I am a cynical realist!

6. Re: Artist's Miss-Impressions - Sensatori etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 13:16