We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kouriton Guest House near Margarites/Eleftherna/Arkadi

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Kouriton Guest House near Margarites/Eleftherna/Arkadi

I've found a guesthouse outside of Margarites, Kouriton House [http://www.kouritonhouse.gr/], that might be a good base for visiting Ancient Eleftherna and Arkadi. Actually, the place looks stunning, and while a bit outside my budget, I can't believe the prices are so low. Lonely Planet gives a highly favourable review on its website, but I’ve not been able to fine any traveller reviews. The (relatively) low price and lack of reviews make me a bit leery. You know what they say about things that are too good to be true. Is anyone familiar with Kouriton House?

And what about Margarites in general? I've read mixed reviews about Margarites describing it as an authentic off-the-beaten-track crafts village or a tourist trap. Maybe it's one of these places that is tourist trap central in the morning when the busses come through but reverts back to a real village once they leave. Has anyone been there and would you recommend it?

Many thanks,

Susan

Susan

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kouriton Guest House near Margarites/Eleftherna/Arkadi

As I remember its a traditional house/hotel in a beautifull area of Crete. If you want to feel local life, than its the place for you. Margarites is the wellknown pottery village on Crete. Here the Terra Cotta red pottery is produced for centuries. During the day there are some tourist looking for this stuff, but the evenings are very quiet. Dont expect disco's and long boulevards. But some very good local tavernas. In about 1 hour you are there were most tourist are.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kouriton Guest House near Margarites/Eleftherna/Arkadi

Thanks, Albertdiver!

Susan

3. Re: Kouriton Guest House near Margarites/Eleftherna/Arkadi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 21:18