We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matala .....

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Matala .....

I read quite a few posts on here about people going or wanting to go to Matala, so not having been there what is the attraction and is it somewhere worth adding to this year's travel itinerary?

All I know about the village is that it was a hippy hang out in the 60s and it's mentioned in the Joni Mitchell song Carey

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matala .....

I stayed there a few days last yr and I liked it a lot. Not too large and I could help but wonder of the thoudands of yrs of history it has seen. Some friends I met told me that the waterfront hasn't changed much at all in the last 20 yrs.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matala .....

Hi Jules

Matala is a pleasant town and has a great beach but is nowhere near as busy or over-developed as so many of the north coastal resorts. It was indeed a hippy hang out in the 60's and has of course the old caves above the beach. I've never stayed there but have driven there a few times on various trips to Crete. It makes quite a good base to explore the south coast and to visit Gortys and Faistos.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matala .....

Thanks both - it may be worth considering for one of our overnight excursions. We're also thinking about Rethymnon for a "night on the town" or maybe heading to the mountains and spending a night in Spilli. I'll now add Matala to the list of maybes as well.

4. Re: Matala .....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 01:17