We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Crete - which resort?

Derbyshire, Uk
Level Contributor
256 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Crete - which resort?

Hi, hubby and I are considering Crete for a week in September. We've never been before and wondering which resort would be for us. We want to be somewhere relatively lively but probably not Malia/Stalis as I hear they are very busy and the main pub/club scene. We'd like somewhere that has nice restaurants, bars and shops, has a sandy beach and also has some history or places to visit nearby.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Crete - which resort?

Although neither may be to your taste (and I can understand) can I just add that Malia and Stalis are very different resorts with a very different kind of visitor. Don't think that because they're next door your getting the same experience!

Manchester
Level Contributor
685 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Crete - which resort?

Elounda may be worth looking into.

Also, Rethymno old town is very nice. I would suggest you also look at flight days and times first as some of the resorts get naff flights times and might only get 'deliveries' of holidaymakers once or twice aweek.

My advice is book direct with the apts or hotel.

DA

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Crete - which resort?

Hi there

Malia and Stalis are like chalk and cheese - Malia is the "full on, in yer face" Club 18-30 party capital of the island whereas Stalis is family orientated, has a great beach and is way more peaceful.

Elounda and Rethymno have already been mentioned - both are decent resorts and Rethymno is full of culture with it's huge Venetian fortress and architecture from several periods in history.

We often stay in a small village called Anissaras which is 3kms west of Hersonissos - too small to show on maps but halfway between Hersonissos and Gouves. Lovely, large sandy beach, a selection of bars and restaurants, quite laid back, lovely seafront pathway for the evening stroll, plus a couple of shops and car hire places.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Crete - which resort?

Elounda was my first experience of Crete and it probably has everything you are looking for.

We have returned a few times and it has great accomodation ranging from budget to extremely luxurious. A great base to explore and fab bars and restuarants.

5. Re: 1st time to Crete - which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 20:17