We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Bath, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Topic
The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Hello all.

I see on the K-tel website (bus company Greece), they mention about a fuel a shortage on Crete has any one else heard or experienced this. Also is this why on the new timetable the cost of fares are so high on a single fare journey. Looks like holidays in Greece are getting even move expensive. Bye for now Jim.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Unfortunataly, like everywhere, Jim:-)

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Too right, why should we expect Crete to be immune from global economic pressure.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

You are also being affected by the poor exchange rate from Sterling to Euro. Where you would have been able to get €1.50 for £1 sterling 12 months ago you now only get around €1.25. This means that any Euro zone country has become more expensive for UK travellers.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Hi there

Crete and Greece depend upon oil/petrol/diesel as much as anywhere else in the world and with the way price-per-barrel rates have climbed over the last few months, any transport provider whether that be public transport (cabs, trains, buses, planes) or heavy road haulage have had to add surcharges onto their "agreed" rates to essentially avoid going bust. I work for a firm who use a huge amount of road haulage to ship our gooda across the UK. Rates with the hauliers were "agreed" last October when diesel was around 95p/litre and it's now sat at £1.30/litre so it's no surprise that the hauliers we use have added a substantial surcharge onto every load they do for us.

Holidays ANYWHERE are getting more expensive.......

bath England
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Hello. Thanks for your comments. I had seen a article in the Daily Mirror a week or so ago saying that Greece was the most expensive European tourist destination in the medditeranian “I took this with a pinch of salt till I saw that there cost of living has gone through the roof compared to other EU countries. Bye for now. Jim.

Lux
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/…2008_96691

(FYI as posted in Lefkas forum too)

H2

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Jim

I don't doubt what you have read but Greece is still way cheaper for example than France which to my mind, has always been the costliest Mediterranean destination. Maybe Greece has seen price rises at a higher percentage than other Med countries, bearing in mind that the rises started from a lower base line?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
462 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

We were in Nidri, Lefkas, last month and the prices were extortinate. IMHO Greece will price its way out of the market for the British.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

Not necessarily a bad thing if those who just go there for cheap booze ciggies and drunken fights stay away.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The high cost of a holiday in Crete

I dont think that the poorer exchange rate will affect the type of holiday maker that go for "cheap booze and fags and fights" as the majority of those are students, or young people many still living at home and are subsidised by their parents, it seems at the moment they are one of the only age group which hasnt been affected by the economic down turn, and still seem to have disposable income to spend on the above!!! - unfortunately!!! :(

Yes some things are more expensive this year, but you can still get a cheap meal, starter main course and wine with water and bread for 18 euros ( I did last week) you just need to look a bit harder this year...