We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete Experience

Waiheke Island, New...
14 posts
Save Topic
Crete Experience

Hi

I am taking a wonderful "trip of a lifetime" and am in Greece for three weeks, of this time I have 5 days/nights in Crete. I fly to Heraklion mid September and fly back to Athens from Chania 5 days later.

I have booked my accommodation in Heraklion and Chania.....just wondered if anyonre has any advice for me if I need to pre-book my accommodaiton for the "inbetween" time . More than likely I would like to spend time in Aghios Nikolaos and Rethymnon. I am intending on using the public bus service to travel.

Any help would be great as I am a lady travelling on my own....and so looking to experiencing this holiday.

Thank you for your help.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete Experience

Hi

You should not have any problems in finding accommodation in mid September in either Ag. Nikolaos or Rethymnon.

Ot would be better to visit Ag. Nikolais after your stay in Heraklion then go to Rethymnon after that.

All these places are on the northern highway & are very well connected by the efficient KTEL public transport companies.

Waiheke Island, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete Experience

Thank you for your advice.

Its can be pretty daunting travelling on my own, but advice like this helps so much.

Cheers

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete Experience

Hi there

Greece is one of the safest counties in Europe for solo female travellers and you won't have any problems at all as long as you exercise the same precautions as you would ordinarily take. It's a shame you only have 5 days of your three weeks to explore Crete - it's a huge island and an absolute minimum of a week would be better.

Just a quick question - Agios Nikolaos is a pleasant town but with 5 days, I'd think about putting your time to better use. You really need 2 days in/around Iraklion for the city's wonderful sights plus a half day or so at Knossos, at least a day in Rethymno and then a couple in Chania. Is there any particular reason to see Agios Nikolaos?

As Mick says, the places are all easy to reach via KTEL bus including Knossos which is a few kms south of the city on the Archanes road.

Here's a link to the island's bus service timetables.

http://www.cretetravel.co/Bus_schedules/

Waiheke Island, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete Experience

Thank you for your advice.

No reason for going to Aghios Nikolaos apart from exploring, and your advice has helped me.

Unfortunately, I do only have the five days in Crete. I have other committments with a tour going up to Meteora to meet in Athens.

Thanks I prefer the idea of staying two days in either Chania or Heraklion, so I will now !!

Thanks again, any other advice in "must see" places and experiences would be appreciated.

:)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete Experience

Hi, Flowerchild58, I just wanted to reassure you. I spent 9 days in Crete on my own in May. Granted, I'm middle aged and not young and dewy, but I never felt concerned or out of place. There was one taverna in a secluded mountain village on a Saturday night where I felt some of the older local men would have preferred an exclusively male preserve, but I felt no disapproval of my decision to travel alone. I did all of my travelling by public bus and found the system easy to understand and navigate. You’ll have a great time!

Susan

Waiheke Island, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete Experience

Thank you Susan (I am a Susan as well !)

I find that very reassuring.

I am getting so excited about going to Greece, it is going to be amazing.

I am also a "middle aged" lady, so I am looking forward to meeting lots of different people on my travels.

Take care

Sue

7. Re: Crete Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:20