We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

My husband & I are coming to Crete Sept 13 - 19. We arrive in Heraklion (airport) and were planning on getting ourselves to Ag Nik for 2 nights.

After that we don't know what to do, there are just so many appealing options. We like Kritsa, Elounda, and Sitia as places to visit. Are Kritsa & Elounda day trip kinds of areas? Or do we stay overnight? What about Sitia, is it worth the trip from Ag Nik? How long would you suggest we stay there? Are buses easily available from Ag Nik to Sitia?

Our ferry leaves Crete (going to Ios) at 9:45 am on the 19th. Do we need to stay in Heraklion that night to be near the port?

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to do in this area? What about Knossos Palace?

Sorry for all the questions, Crete just has so much to offer it's hard to know what to do.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

Sitia is lovely but as you're only in Crete for 6 days I would maybe keep it for when you have a longer visit, only for the reason of travelling time. Although the distance itself if not that far, the road is very twisty and it does take a while to get there. Time driving/or on the bus when you could be seeing so many other great places in that area of the island. If I were to spend the night in Sitia it would be with the intention of going on to visit the east coast the following day, it's something we're already planning to do on one of our future visits.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

Hi there

You can easily visit Kritsa and Elounda from Agios Nikolaos, neither are more than a short drive. I'd also recommend taking the boat trip across to Spinalonga - you can take the boats from Agios Nikolaos, Elounda or Plaka. Another town well worth visiting in the nearby area is Neapoli - markets, lovely churches and a buzzing atmosphere.

The Lassithi plateau is a 45 min drive from Agios Nikoloas via the recently widened and resurfaced road from Neapoli. You could easily spend a day up there exploring the villages that line the plateau, the Diktaen cave at Psyhro, and maybe walking some of the network of public paths that criss cross the fields.

Other options include a ride down to Ierapetra, Europe's most southerly town and also the caves at Milatos and Sissi, both again, just a short hop from Ag Nik.

Rather than head for Siteia, head the other way and maybe spend a day in Rethymno, a lively, cosmopolitan town with great shopping, beaches, museums and architecture from several periods of history as well as it's Venetian harbour and fortress. You could spend a night in Rethymno then head back east via the Amari valley, Faistos and Gortys.

Iraklion itself has great sights and these can be accessed via a 4-5 hour walk. Any decent guide book would detail the route to take them all in.

Knossos is just south of Iraklion and is easy to reach by bus or car - go early or late to avoid all the tour coaches.

There's probably enough there to fill 6 days easily. I would DEFINATELY arrange to stay overnight in Iraklion prior to your sailing. It only takes a late bus or road congestion and you'll miss the boat.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

Thank you both for the great recommendations!

4. Re: 6 nights in Lassithi, Crete...please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor