We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knossos worth the effort?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Knossos worth the effort?

Hello...always been interested in 'classic studies'... have been to pompeii, rome, syracusa, etc... is knossos really that spectacular? or would it be a 'must see'? i just dont want to kill a day just to see a few mosaics and some rubble... hopefully folks who have been to the same places i mentioned above could offer some comparisons... cheers

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Sure its worth wile, but read books before or check the internet and if you want spend some money on a guided tour on the site. But remember, not everything is original on Knossos. Some parts were reconstructed

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

It is a very different experience to the places you have mentioned but IMO is worth seeing. As previously mentioned there has been re-construction but as long as you are not being an 'archaeological purist' about the site you will enjoy the visit. :O)

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

I've been to Rome, Syracusa, etc. and I would say yes.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

I definitely support the advice to read what you can about the site, and Minoan Crete in general - you'll enjoy the experience much more. You don't say when you're going (it would be wonderful in the winter, with few people there)- if you'll be there in the summer, you should go EARLY - tour buses come mid-morning and it gets very crowded. I was there in July last year and people had to queue to look at some of the most famous wall paintings. It won't 'kill a day' - it's possible to get round quite quickly, depending on your interests, and it's easy to reach, if you're coming independently - about 30 mins on a local bus from Irakleio.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Hi there

Unless you have a specific interest in history/archaeology, it's easy to see all on offer at Knossos in 2-3 hours tops. Go early to beat the crowds and you'll be finished by lunch time. As has been mentioned, much of the reconstruction is based on "what it MIGHT have looked like" - some folk find this unacceptable, all the concrete and suchlike, whereas others at least appreciate the effort involved to recreate some of the site.

Worth going to for the sheers scale of the place IMO.

Plenty of parking if you take a car, or take the #2 bus from bus station A, takes 20 or so minutes and drops you right outside the main entrance. The bus will have either Knossos or Archanes on the front.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Something I discovered last summer: you don't have to go all the way down to the bus station, if you're based in the town. The bus goes past Kornarou Square (Hotel Olympik, Market Street, etc.) I think you have to get a ticket from a kiosk before you get on board.

Kingston
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Dont mean to change the topic, but while I'm here .... Does anyone know if there is any sense trying to locate the German Airborne memorial that was built on Crete by the Nazis?? I understand that it is pretty much destroyed, the large badge on top gone. How bad is it?? Thanks in advance ...

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Hi there

Well, if you have an interest in the war, maybe a dead relation buried there, or similar, then the memorial would be of interest I should imagine. Is this the one that sits in the centre of the German War Cemetary at Maleme?

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

The german cemetary is a beautiful place, probably the best kept from all of Europe if we consider that here the enemies are burried. No its worth a visit, certainly if ancestors are here.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Knossos worth the effort?

Ivan, if you're interested in wartime memorabilia, there's an astonishing little private collection in the village of Askifou (on the road that goes to Hora Sfakion/Imbros).

A local man has assembled all sorts of wartime relics, mostly to do with the Battle of Crete and collected locally, in his own back yard and a couple of outbuildings. There are weapons, helmets, flags, badges, gas masks, and even an old Norton bike like the one in the Great Escape. There's no admission charge, although the owner (the son of the original collector) will glady accept a few euros, and offers raki to visitors. It's well worth seeing if you're in that area.

There are also a few agricutural exhibits like cowbells and milk churns, and I found it quite moving, seeing domestic items displayed alongside all that weaponry. It reminded me that the pastoral landscape where all this stuff is displayed has seen some terrible things.