We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgiopoulis Info required

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Georgiopoulis Info required

We've just booked a week at a small beach hotel 4km from Georgiopoulis.

I'm interested to know if there are agents in the resort who run trips around Crete (particularly Chania & Elefonissi), how much these are likely to cost, and how long it's likely to take to get to these places.

Also, any other good trips from this part of Crete?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Georgiopoulis Info required

Hithere

Just about every resort and town in Crete will have at least a couple of local excursion agencies where you can book trips to various parts of the island. Costs vary obviously according to distance, length of the day and so on.

Bear in mind that most excursions will cost at least 25 euros so if there's two of you or more, renting a car will be way cheaper, around 30 euros a day.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Georgiopoulis Info required

Georgiopoulis is ideally situated between Chania and Rethymnon and both can easily be visited by the public bus, which runs along the main road, just outside the village. The buses are modern air conditioned coaches and always seemed to run to time

There is a choice of beaches in Georgiopoulis , the smaller has a little chapel next to it.The water is clean and shallow, with an odd cool current running through it, in places, from the little river. Pedalos can be hired to explore the "lazy river".

A popular trip is on the little Road Train which runs to Lake Kournos, again you can hire pedalos or have a drink or meal, overlooking the beautiful lake.

There are places for booking organised trips, as we booked one to Souda Bay, to see the war cemetary, which also took in Chania by night, although I can't remember the costs. But before you book any trips check to see if the place can't be reached by public bus first, as they are very inexpensive.

It is a great village, with a good choice of tavernas, and well placed for getting around that part of Crete.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Georgiopoulis Info required

Thanks for the info.

I've been to Crete before, but my partner hasn't. Though the man purpose of the trip is to d as little as possible, I did think it might benice to show him the places I particularly enjoyed when I was there (Chania & Elefonissi). I thought Chania might be reachable by bus from our resort, but I suspect that Elefonissi might be a long journey, as I seem to remember it took a while from the north west coast.

Mostly, we're just looking to spend a week lounging on a sandy beach, and Georgiopoulis seems perfect for this!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Georgiopoulis Info required

The beaches are ideal, as the bigger beach is very long so you can always find a peaceful spot. For reasons, unknown to me, the vast majority of people congregate around the same area, even though two thirds of the beach remain practically unpopulated.

Personally, I hate sitting/lying on a beach and having to listen to other peoples conversations or music, when I could be in a peaceful spot listening to the waves.

But whatever your preference, you can find it in Georgiopoulis.

5. Re: Georgiopoulis Info required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 05:37