We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expert advice needed re: resort

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
expert advice needed re: resort

Best resort. I have searched on the forum but would appreciate expert advice on a suitable resort. We are both over 40, but feel a lot younger. We are looking for an area with lots of restaurants not a few scattered along the beach front. We like bars with music, but not karoke. Enjoy staying out until after the wicthing hour, although we do not do clubbing. Enjoy shopping, good food, people watching, not concerned about a beach, as the pool is adequate. I suppose good food within easy reach and good music. So not a quiet relaxing place with nothing to do. Hoping to go in May next year. Looking for nice self catering but that is for another post, but suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

Stalis seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for. There is a great array of excellent restaurants both on the beach road and roads leading off it which cater for all tastes from basic right up to great greek dishes. Many good bars & tavernas for both day and night time, some of which have live music at night. No "in your face" clubs or groups of 18-30s - they are all in Malia.

Stalis has plenty of life but with a laid back & relaxed atmosphere suitable for couples & families. We are in our forties and go in September and there are a lot of couples of similar age to us there then (we actually go this Friday 4th Sept and can't wait!).

Many good self catering apartments & studios in Stalis - we go to La Luna where we have made many lasting friendships and the owners really look after you. This can be booked through Libra Holidays but you can also book direct and go independently.

Very good beach in Stalis with many bars, tavernas & restaurants leading onto it off the beach road.

Stalis is also in a good location for doing trips with the likes of Spinalonga, Knossos & Lassithi Plateau within easy reach.

Have fun deciding wherever you choose to go. Crete is so diverse with places to suit everyone so good luck.

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
785 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

I do agree 100% about Stalis, regarding the description that you made on your post about what you are looking for.

I have stayed there 3-4 years ago, at a very nice hotel, the "Arleking Tango", owned by Cretan people. Mr and Ms. Patelis were amazing hosts, and their son Giorgos as well. It's a small hotel with around 40 rooms and a very nice swimming pool , bar , and restaurant. Their website is www.arlekintango.gr

Regards,

Yannis.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

In the beginning of the season the area of Stalis is not really busy and you might find bars and shops still closed. Much better to choose for a central city where life never stops, not even in the winter.

www.rethymnon.gr

Thessaloniki...
Level Contributor
785 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

I also agree with the above message regarding the city life that never stops, BUT the access to some nice beach, or some more relaxed things might not be as easy compared to staying at a place outside of the city.

Regarding Rethymnon, I have heard also really good thing. For Chania as well. Four weeks ago I've been to Heraklion, which is the biggest city in Crete, but might not remind you much of the idea that one has of an island, and had a great time. Very lively city too and really lots of things to do.

Killarney, Ireland
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

In early season i would choose Rethymno or Chania, depending on which is nearest to the airport you arrive at. Both places have everything you want in abundance.

6. Re: expert advice needed re: resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 06:20