We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South East Crete

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,032 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
South East Crete

Hubby and I are travelling to Crete at the end of the month for 8 days and want to explore more of the south east coast, is there any must see places? Have already been to Sitia and Ierapetra. Like a bit of history, some good tavernas, and perhaps a nice beach for a dip. We are planning to stay 3 - 4 nights, just stopping off where we like the look of then back to Agios for 3 -4 nights -but nothing set in stone - any suggestions would be great - thank you guys...

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South East Crete

Hi MG

Bear in mind that when you head east from Ierapetra, the road follows the coast as far as the village of Analipsi after which it swings inland as the terrain is so rugged. Makrigialos is well worth a visit, it has a superb beach and there are the remains of a Minoan villa just outside the town.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South East Crete

Forgot to ask if you've visited Kritsa? Southwest of Ag Nik so you may well have been there but if not, make a point of visiting.

Stockport, United...
Destination Expert
for Makry-Gialos
Level Contributor
376 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South East Crete

Hi

If you fancy Makry Gialos then I'd recommend the Kalamokanias Beach side as you've got the Minoan villa as GB mentioned plus the Roman Villa on the headland. The beach is right in the middle of both and there are some lovely places to stay and the best place in Crete for food "Stratos". The Beach is great for snorkelling plus is lovely and clear especially if the wind is from the north.

You might want to check out the following for potential properties:

http://www.relaxincr:ete.com/

creteholidaysvillas.gr/ikaros-villas_en.php

creteholidaysvillas.gr/daidalos-villas_en.php

southeastcreteholidays.com/accommodation.html

Cheers

Doggy

Stockport, United...
Destination Expert
for Makry-Gialos
Level Contributor
376 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South East Crete

Sorry one of the links had a typo:

http://www.relaxincrete.com/

which is probably the best of the lot if you can get a room!

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South East Crete

Makri Gialos is a lovely place to spend a few days.

Have a look at www.gecko.gr for excellent up to date information on everything in the area.

Makry-Gialos, Greece
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: South East Crete

The road does go a little further east along the coast from Analipsis, and some 7km along it Mona Kapsa monastery is worth a visit.

Away from the coast in the south east, you might be interested in the Venetian ruins at Etia and Voila (pronounced Vo-illa), around Chandras. Further afield in the east there are the Minoan ruins at Kato Zakros, said to be the third largest on Crete, as well as some interesting semi-deserted villages, such as the one at Karidi.

From Makriyialos (and I spell it that way in TA because the TA software will automatically link it to the TA pages for this place), you might also explore the post-minoan ruins of Praesos, just off the road to Sitia.

There are also some great scenic drives accessible from Makriyialos. As well as links to accommodation, the last of Doggy's website links provides more info on what to see and do around Makriyialos.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South East Crete

Hi gecko

You are right of course, but I was referring to the main road to Sitia, rather than the lesser road that leads east from Analipsi to the monastery.

Makry-Gialos, Greece
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: South East Crete

Hi GB

Yes, as you say, the main road heads north to Sitia after Analipsi, but the road along the coast is just as good until it ends at Goudouras, and as well as Mona Kapsa, there are a number of nice little beaches and coves along the way, amongst which Kalo Nero deserves a specific mention.

As for the Makriyialos linking in TA, I appear to be wrong on that one, though why TA will automatically link Crete, but not Makriyialos, I do not know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South East Crete

Hi MG,

There are some great day trips from Sitia, as mentioned previously Kato Zakros is a must as it's a charming little seaside village with a lovely sandy beach at the far end. There's a lovely trek you can take from Zakros through the gorge to Kato Zakros - it's not a short trek and from memory would take 3 hours (possibly more) but well worth the effort, especially if you leave early when it's not too hot.

The other obvious trips are from Sitia past the Toplou Monastery and then on to Vai which is pretty commercial now and has the only natural palm forest in Crete, it was apparently featured in a Bounty advert in the 80's. Nearby there's a nice quieter beach at Ermoupoli which can be alot more relaxing and also cleaner. On the way back you can take the road towards Paleaocastro where there are some good and more traditional tavernas, nearby there are also some good small beaches known mostly to the locals which are worth exploring - from memory there's a good taverna at Kouremeno?

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South East Crete

When we were in Crete last week and the weather was less than great (very cloudy) I remembered reading somewhere that Ierapetra is on record as the sunniest town in Europe, so we got in our trusty Punto and headed south. We ended up in Makrigialos and had a lovely day on the beach and having a late lunch in Stratos. In fact we had such a good time down there we returned the following day.

I have to say that I can't say that we saw much of the village itself as we were primarily on a quest for sunshine, sand and sea but it's definitely somewhere we'll return and probably stay for a while next time we're in Crete.

By the way the food in Stratos was very good.