We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Sissi and Gouves

Manchester
Level Contributor
364 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Between Sissi and Gouves

Myself and my husband are looking for a suitable resort, not too far from Heraklion airport, to stay for two weeks in June. We don’t want anywhere that is too busy but has a few nice tavernas and places to drink and ideally somewhere with Greek charm. A good sandy beach near by would also be a plus. I have looked at both Gouves and Sissi, would either be suitable? If so is there any accommodation you would particularly recommend or maybe another resort we should look at.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Between Sissi and Gouves

Hi there

Take a look at Anissaras, too small to show on the map but roughly halfway between Gouves and Hersonissos. It has a vast, sandy/grit beach, safe bathing. a relaxed atmosphere, a decent selection of bars and restaurants but no OTT nightlife, a couple of shops, car hire and that's about it. There has been some development here over the past few years but the larger hotels sit on the outskirts of the village.

It's where we usually stay in Crete and we have had many great holidays here. Take a look at www.mikesbeach.gr for accommodation. Their rates are very competitive and are per room, NOT per person. The apartments are within a 30 second walk from the beach and all have balconies and aircon, plus en suite bathrooms, kitchen area and fridge. Stayed here many times - the owners are lovely, very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Mentioned in this post
Anissaras
Anissaras
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Durham
Level Contributor
181 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Between Sissi and Gouves

Myself and my girlfreind often stay in Analipsi which is next to Anissaras, i think anywhere along that coastline (maybe apart from Hersonissos (too busy)) is lovely, although Analipsi has a large all inclusive complex there we find that the residents there rarely leave the place so the village never feels 'overun'....Analipsi also has a small village centre, giving it a feel of a village...i would quite happily stay in Gouves, Analipsi or Anissaras, theres barely a 20 minute walk along the coast between them......We've never stayed in Sissi, although spent days there, it's a lovely little place, although there is a few tavernas...we always holiday in September and considered that it might be just a little too quiet for a week, although i'm sure in June it would be a little busier

Mentioned in this post
Analipsi
Analipsi
Crete, Greece
Anissaras
Anissaras
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,843 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Between Sissi and Gouves

We stayed in Sissi two years running we loved it so much but it was quite a few years ago now. We have been meaning to return but have been busy going to other places. It will have changed a bit but not that much from what I see on this forum. We loved the feel of the place quite small but lots of tavernas and very friendly people with a nice little harbour area. The beaches are small apart from one right at the end near Kalimera Kriti hotel which is large and sandy and you do need to be quite agile to access them over the rocks. We thought it was a charming place.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Kriti Hotel
Kriti Hotel
443 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Between Sissi and Gouves

Sissi is as I have said many times before a great choice of holiday destination.

It offers every type of accomodation you could want from the very basic to 5 star opulence.

It's charms have remained relatively intact unlike most other northern coastal resorts and still had a Cretan feel about the place.

Excellent taverna's and enough choice in nightlife to keep you occupied.

I can recommend several different types of accomodation to you but for a starter for 10 have a look at www.anixi-apartments.gr

Well kept rooms in an enviable sea front position run by a delightful couple and transfers to and from the airport included in the overall price.bargain!

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Cretan Family Restaurant
Cretan Family Restaurant
237 Reviews
Crete, Greece
5. Re: Between Sissi and Gouves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 06:16