We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kokkini Hani

Manchester
Level Contributor
357 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Kokkini Hani

Hi -

I have also been looking at Kokkini Hani, what is this report like please? Any hotels or apartments you would recommend?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kokkini Hani
Kokkini Hani
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kokkini Hani

Hi there

Each to their own, but it wouldn't be my first choice of resorts on Crete. It sits within the highly developed north coastal strip that stretches all the way from Iraklion to Agios Nikolaos. It has a long pebble beach and a bit of history at the Minoan Villa there but to be honest, that's about it.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Iraklion Hotel
Iraklion Hotel
327 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Durham
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kokkini Hani

Many planes (1 every 10 mins ?) fly along that stretch of coastline into Heraklion, bearing that in mind i think the closest i would stay to Heraklion is probably Gouves, Kokkini Hani i think is just that 'too close'....i find that in Analipsi its bearable and after a couple of hours you get used to it, but in Kokkini Hani i suspect you could hear the planes on the runway !

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
Kokkini Hani
Kokkini Hani
Crete, Greece
Analipsi
Analipsi
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kokkini Hani

Yes, that's another important factor to consider as all these north coast resorts sit beneath the approach to the airport if the wind is blowing from the west or northwest. Of course, the wide bodied jets nowadays are way quieter than those from the 70s and 80s but there's not a great deal of clear space between Kokkini Hani and the end of the runway, maybe 6-7 kms and the planes will be much lower than they would over say Gouves or Hersonissos.

Mentioned in this post
Kokkini Hani
Kokkini Hani
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Washington DC
Level Contributor
165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kokkini Hani

I lived in Kokini Hani for two years in the late 80ies. Back then it was a nice little village. Now it is over developed. It will always be special to me, but I would not recommend it as holiday resort.

winnie1956
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kokkini Hani

I was there in the summer (end of August) of 2008 and I loved it. It is lively but not like the bigger resorts/towns. .The place was small enough to walk from end to end. Good access to the more livelier resorts by local bus but beware that the timetable can be dodgy. One evening we were waiting for a bus from the nearest resort for over two hours and it was the last bus back that evening but it did arrive eventually. Beaches are quite narrow but clean and sunbeds are plentiful but there is a small charge for hire. Nightlife is on the quiet side but the restuarants and bars are very good and value for money. Internet access is available in some of the bars and restuarants.

There is a good bus service to the Water Park which is a great day out. In fact it was my first experience of a Water Park at the age of 52 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would recommend the place and plan to return there.

6. Re: Kokkini Hani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:18