We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grateful for updated info please?

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grateful for updated info please?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice please? I've been staying in Sitia on and off since 1988 and really love it on the basis of being a bit smaller and less touristy than some of the other resorts. This year I have a wad of Tesco vouchers and was thinking of using them with Cosmos who are, admittedly, quite limited in destination choice.

The last time I stopped in Agios Nikolaos was 1990 (so guess it has changed and they no longer play Jive Bunny in all the clubs!!) I don't think I've ever been to Rethymonon and Elounda and realise that the Crete I profess to know so well is actually about fifteen miles of the far north east coast...

I realise they are perhaps all bigger and more touristy than Sitia but wondered if anyone could suggest which, if any, might suit.

We also love Puerto de Soller in Mallorca (and St. Malo in Brittany when it doesn't rain... ) which has a wonderful old town and a small bunch of more upmarket hotels along the sea-front. In Sitia we tend to go independently and stay in a basic apartment right above the tavernas across the road from the beach. I'd love a charming, more up-market, perhaps old town with a good selection of tavernas but less emphasis on the bars / clubs - if that isn't too tall an order!!

The hotels in the Cosmos brochure appear to be based either slightly out of town or on the tourist strip so we're certainly not going to be right in the middle of things but I hate being trapped in a hotel so want to make sure there's a lovely town, not too far away, to mooch around too.

Would be equally as pleased to hear from anyone who thinks we're barking up the wrong tree and should spend our vouchers in Pizza Express instead!

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

I have also been looking at this option for using my Tesco vouchers, but by the time I read the restrictions etc, I lost the will to live, I have decided on Goldsmith vouchers instead, well a girl needs a bit of bling!!

One of my all time favourite places is Elounda, and it would appear to have everything you are looking for good tavernas, beautiful scenery and the friendliest people you could meet. Many of the large, expensive hotels are situated outside the village, and some guests staying in these establishments, never leave the grounds of their hotels. If you have the option stay in, or as close to the village, as possible, it's a lovely place to stroll around and chill out in.

You are ideally placed to travel around the area, the local bus takes you into Ag. Nic, where you can catch buses to many other places, or you can walk ,or be transported ,in the opposite direction to Plaka. Acrss the bay is the now famous Spinalonga, and 5 minutes stroll out of the village takes you to old traditional villages with spectacular views across the area.

It is a great place for a holiday in Crete as it offers everything you would need for an enjoyable stay, whilst retaining its Greek character, which is highlighted by the many numbers of returning visitors each year.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Hi there

You are limited to Elounda, Rethymno and Agios Nikoloas? I guess therefore that it totally depends upon what you want from the holiday.

Ag Nik - an easy trip from the airport, busy, lots to do and see, plenty of restaurants and bars, plus good shops. Slight downside is some of the local beaches but there are good ones within easy reach. Good bus services to many points on the island

Elounda - great beach, more relaxed, primarily attracts the 35+ age group although there will be all ages there. Great views across the Gulf of Mirabello to Spinalonga island which you can take a ride over to. Just a few miles north from Ag Nik so just as easy to reach. if you wasnt to explore by bus, you would need to get to Ag Nik's bu station first.

Rethymno- probably the most cosmopolitan town on Crete. Wonderful history and antiquities, upmarket shopping, great beaches, good nightlife, takes about 2 hours to reach from the airport at Iraklion or less if you can fly into Chania. Just depends if you would be happy to holiday in an "urban" atmosphere.

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Thanks so much - I'll definitely take a closer look there. I must admit to hesitating on using the vouchers too having just rung to find out that a holiday I had in mind came in £300 more than suggested in the brochure! I think it's definitely time to head back to Crete regardless and will thoroughly enjoy the research - probably more so when not restricted to huge hotels... thanks again.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Hi there

I too would recommend either Agios or Elounda, have a look at this web site for more information on both the resorts.

http://www.agiosnikolaos.gr/

If you would like any hotel recommendations, or any other information on Agios, please feel free to ask..

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Many thanks for the link and the other replies - I'll have a good look through.

It's hard to sum up what 'makes' a holiday for us but whilst in the depths of winter, I love the idea of a hotel-based break, I know we tend to get bored and want to go out, sit in a cafe in a small town and people watch. A bit of walking (well, gentle strolling), a lot of trying out new and old favourite foods, hire a car for just a day or two and a bit of exploring. Pottering somewhere pretty sums it up really!

I mentioned the central / eastern region purely because I'm more familiar with it but anywhere else is certainly open for debate too.

Elounda sounds like it might be up our street, sadly we are definitely now in the 35+ age group! Just one query about Elounda - in Mallorca last year we were in an up market marina area and the prices were absolutely crippling due to the euro not being in our favour. As the euro seems to be staying put, does Elounda fall in to the category of being pricier than the other resorts on that basis? I'm not sure I could take the purse-bashing again!

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Hi there

As in any resort in Crete or Greece in general, it really pays to shop around. For example, in Athens last June, we were caught in one bar who charged us 5 euros each for a 330ml bottle of beer. Needless to say, we didn't have another one, but walked down a side street and found a little taverna where they served a 500ml glass for 2,50 euros.

So, if you take a seat at a waterfront place, with the views, then expect the prices to be higher than in a side street where you may well sacrifice the views, but prices will be lower. Same applies for food, search out the little tavernas where the food will be way better, cheaper and more of it.

Most places have their menus/tariffs outside so it should be easy to decide which places suit your pocket.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Hi there,

I dont think that Elounda is any more expensive than any other resorts on Crete,as GB rightly says its got more to do with where you eat and drink than the resort itself.

Yes Elounda and Agios do have some of the best 5 star hotels in Crete, and there are some very expensive restaurants in both these resorts, but the majority of the tavernas are very reasonable, and lots of tavernas in both Elounda and Agios are now doing set meals, with two or three choices for each course for around 10 euros each.

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Really appreciate the replies - I can't wait to get going. Months and months away yet but I'm pretty good at sustaining pre-holiday excitement, now just 180 or so sleeps to go!!!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Less than half a year then, get counting!!!

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grateful for updated info please?

Rather than restrict yourself to Cosmos at an apparent inflated price is it possible to spend your Tesco vouchers on currency. Then this will leave you with a much greater choice by booking independently and at a price that suits.

This, of course depends on whether you can exchange your vouchers for euros. You have probably already thought of this option anyway.