We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

I'm planning on being in Crete this May from the 10th to the 17th. I will be staying a couple of days in Anopoli and hope to be able to walk up Pachnes.

Several years ago I was hoping to do this in early June but there was still too much snow.

Does any one have any idea what kind of winter they've had in the White Mountains?

I'm also staying a couple of days in Omalos to walk up Gingalos which isn't too tough even if there's still a bit of snow on the ground.

This will be the earliest in the year that I've visited Crete. Will there still be flowers blooming in the Omalos and Anopoli plateaus? By the end of May/early June they seem to be mostly gone.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

Hi roger1x,

We were in Anapolis in mid-May of 2008 and it was too early for Pachnes then, maybe not so much for snow on the summit but because the road to the trailhead was too muddy and impassable for transport. Maybe you'll have better luck this year. It was our second time in Anapolis, both during May, and the flowers, in particular the roses, were outstanding. I think the wildflowers were past their peak.

In mid-May of 2006 we climbed Gingilos and had a spectacular day. The only snow was in the big bowl between summits. I have read that if there is too much snow it can be treacherous, as there are many crevices. The Omalos Plateau was very green but I don't remember many flowers, just the people picking "wild lettuce" in the fields.

Hope you get good conditions.

JQ

Ottawa
Level Contributor
960 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

I was in Anopoli two years ago May 10 – 12. I didn’t do any serious hiking, just walks near the village. Like JCQ, I found the wildflowers probably past their prime, but still glorious. (You can see some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=25804015@N00&q=flower+anopoli&m=text.) It did rain the night I arrived and that may have had something to do with the flowers hanging on.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

Thanks for the information about mid May conditions. I'll just have to wait and see how muddy the trail towards Pachnes is. I'm not sure we'll want to do the aradhena gorge and pachnes on back to back days in any case.

Midlands
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

Hello,

Hope you had a great trip. Did you go up Pachnes? We are planning a trip up for the 26th May and wondered if there is still snow cover.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

I committed one of the worst travel sins by not booking my flight when I saw a good price. By the time I tried to book my flight prices had gone way up. It may have turned out ok as the flight would have been on Iberia through Madrid and the volcano was acting up again when I was planning to fly back to Washington.

Without first hand experience I would still guess that there is snow cover on Pachnes. There was in June a few years ago.

Now I'm hoping to make my Crete trip in September this year.

6. Re: Walking up Pachnes in Mid May and flowers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:15