We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

I know it is early yet, and the holiday season is barely underway (we don't go till mid September).

But in the past we have taken cash with us and exchanged it there (on a no commission basis) as most times we have found the tourist rate a bit better in Crete than the UK for some reason. Whether that will be the case this year with Greece's dire financial problems... who knows?

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know of a website that gives the tourist rates in Crete on a daily basis so that we can check?

kind regards,

boydell7.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 09:59
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

You will always get a better rate by taking a debit card and getting cash out of ATMs. When exchanging cash, "no commission" always means "poor exchange rate": the exchange bureau has to make money somehow.

The cash exchange rate in Crete is unlikely to be much different from that applying throughout the euro zone.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Thanks for your advice sidneynick... it is appreciated.

kind regards,

boydell7.

Edited: 10 April 2010, 11:02
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Hi boydell7 - I could not agree more with sydneynick! I live in Athens: all my income comes from the UK, and is paid into two bank accounts there, so I have to deal with this problem nearly every day! I use my debit card to take out cash from my account with the Halifax/Bank of Scotland. Saving money with them is only marginally better than keeping it under the mattress, but they only charge £1.50 for each transaction here. (But I can only take out £300 max per day.) My savings account with Lloyds earns more interest, but I would pay much more to use my debit card here. For a daily picture, why not use Google? I entered 'tourist bank exchange rates in Crete' and got a huge number of sites, which you could use to check the progress of the exchange rate before September. Be careful with the advice some of them offer, though: I spotted "change your foreign currency in tourist shops", which I've always been told is NOT what you should do!

I like your Avatar, by the way! Have you got a good site for kitty pix like that??

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Hello M/s NG,

If you're using a UK debit card a number of times a week it would be worth your while investigating a current account with Nationwide; they charge nothing for withdrawals from ATMs in the eurozone and use the commercial exchange rate, which is better than the tourist rate from the Halifax.

I have a feeling that Halifax charge commision on top if the transaction fee.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Thanks for this, BridgenorthS! No, I don't pay any commission to the Halifax, only the £1.50 charge per transaction, on top of the exchange rate, of course, so I take out as much as I can every time: I might manage to raise the amount I can take out, which would be an advantage. I wouldn't fancy the logistics of changing my current account in the UK from here and I don't go back if I can help it – once in the last 4 years, just to see a friend, and to make a new will, so that's sorted! It was fun to feel like a tourist over there, though – could NOT get the hang of the currency!

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Thank you for your advice NicolletaG,

I don't have a source for similar avatars I'm afraid. I pinched this one from an ebay seller of cat deterrent devices I found.

regards,

boydell7.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Thank you for your advice NikolettaG,

I don't have a source for similar avatars I'm afraid. I pinched this one from an ebay seller of cat deterrent devices I found.

regards,

boydell7.

Lincoln
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Thanks for your help BridgnorthSnaps... much appreciated.

regards,

boydell7.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Oh, how funny! I've already pinched yours! - but who would want to deter cats??!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Exchange Rate in Crete

Question off the back of this. I have a caxton fx card which is a prepaid mastercard. It has free withdrawls abroad. Now I used this in the US and whilst the withdrawl was free the actual ATM was charging a fee. Do the ATMs in crete charge a fee like uk link machines do?