We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for us in Crete

Herzlia, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best place for us in Crete

Hi,

We plan to be in Crete this June for 6 days. We like quiet secluded beaches, authentic local eating, markets. We will have a car for our stay. I would like to find a room/bungalow/house that is right on a beach, if possible. Pool not necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for us in Crete

Hi there,

Location I think depends on what airport you are flying into Herkalion or Chania, as you are only on the island for 6 days you dont want to waste valueable time driving to your accomodation.

If you are flying into Herkalion then have a look at this house, it is literally on the beach and a beautiful area too, not sure what your budget is, but its a wonderful property in a great location too.

The house is owned by a local hotel, and the link is on their web site

http://www.lato-hotel.com.gr/karhome2.html

Herzlia, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for us in Crete

What a stunning location! Do you know if one can swim there?

Do you by chance know of any other possibilities?

Thanks for your help

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for us in Crete

Hi

yes it is a wonderful location isnt it....we were on the beach a couple of years ago and saw the house, it wasnt until last year that I realised that it was owned by one of the Agios hotels.

With regards to swimming there - yes I have seen people swim directly off the patio type area of the house, including children so it must be very safe too, but if you want any more information e mail the hotel, they are very helpful and will answer any queries that you have, we have stayed at the hotel a couple of times in the past.

With regards to other property recommendations unfortunately I cant recommend any, as we now own a property in Agios so dont book villas or houses, and in the past only stayed in hotels. I only recommended this property because it seemed to tick all your boxes, and I just think it is such a stunning location, one of a kind really.

If you are happy travelling independantly I would look at web sites like Owner Abroad, holiday lettings etc. it might be easier then to find what you want.

Herzlia, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for us in Crete

Thanks for the tips.

I'll do that

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place for us in Crete

Wow! That brought back some memories for me! My husband and I stayed in that house, many years ago - maybe 15! - when it was on the books of a holiday company which is now defunct. We remember it very well - one of the lovliest locations we have ever stayed in. At that time, the small beach behind belonged* to the house too - don't know if that is still the case. You could swim straight from the terrace at the front - I don't expect that has changed.

* One thing we discovered then that we didn't know, was that there is (or was - has it changed?) no such thing as a private beach/swimming in Crete - the sea belongs to everyone. We were surprised to find local people swimming right outside the house (back and front) and sitting on "our" terrace and the low wall outside the house. Of course we didn't mind - we were just surprised to see them.

Thanks for the lovely memories!

Herzlia, Israel
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place for us in Crete

When in Crete, do as the Cretians...... :)

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place for us in Crete

How about this place in Makri Gialos:

http://www.geocities.com/~minico/crete2000/makrigialos.htm

It is right on the beach. If you have a ground floor apartment, you get a small patio, a small garden, and then the beach. Makri Gialos is in the south east, about an hour and a half from Heraklion. It is small enough to be peaceful, yet big enough to have a good selection of places to eat and drink.

Or you could straight south to Matala or Kalamaki. Both are busier than Makri Gialos, and, although their beaches are sandy, there are also rocks around. There are a number of places right on the beach in Kalamaki. This is one of them:

http://www.kiknos.org/contact_english.html

Good luck.

Stockport, United...
Destination Expert
for Makry-Gialos
Level Contributor
377 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place for us in Crete

Hi there

You might want to give Makry-Gialos a try as there are many places to stay right on the beach.

Check out the accommodation on the following site and it will show you how far the properties are from the beach and you can even book online. Loads to choose from and I've stayed in a few so give me a shout.:

http://www.southeastcreteholidays.com/

My current favourite is this one:

http://www.relaxincrete.com/

Cheers

Doggy

Edited: 14 April 2010, 13:01
Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place for us in Crete

Makry Gialos seems to tick all your boxes.

We have stayed in and can recommend www.villa-plori.gr which has an enviable position on a fantastic beach

It's near but not too near to lots of excellent tavernas and of course www.gecko.gr whose sister website was given to you by Doggy.

10. Re: best place for us in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:17