We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Local Car Hire - Crete

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Hello.

Looking to hire a car for 5 days the first week of June. We'll be picking up at Heraklion airport and dropping off at Heraklion port. Any recommendations for local companies? We are looking for a class B car with A/C. What is a typical rate for that time of the year?

I would prefer to pre-book online.

I've already gotten quotes from Zorbas and Anna's Cars both at 140 euros.

Auto Pappas -published online at 120 euros

Speed published online was 110 euros

http://rental-center-crete.com/ Class B –quoted as 178 euros; can pre-pay 160 euros (very high!)

Autoway quoted me 175 euros for a Class B car

I'm inclined to go with Auto Pappas but as I've only seen one person recommend them, I'm a little leary. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Edited: 28 April 2010, 16:00
sligo
Level Contributor
634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Hi,

I have used Athens carhire for 2 years now and rebooked with them for this September:

http://www.athenscars-crete.gr/car-hire/

Cars are approximately 2/3 years old and couple of small dints but the price is competitive and so far the cars have been reliable.

They will meet you at the airport and look for payment then, I paid by card once and cash on another occasion. I have not had to pay a deposit at any time.

Enjoy

Bobo

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,609 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Hi

We use autopapas on a regular basis, usually travel out to Crete 4 -5 times per year. Never had a problem with them, but not all the cars are new, and sometimes we get one which is a couple of years old, but thats never been a problem. Usually just e mail them my bookings for the whole season and dont pay a deposit in advance either - usually just pay cash at the airport.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Your prices are in line with others.... I think the local agencies keep an eye on each other's prices. In May I am using Autoway for the 3rd time -- always pleased, agency very punctual in car delivery, good vehicles, meet or beat prices of biggies like Avis, Budget etc.

crete
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Group B cars really vary from companies to companies...

ex. in http://www.rental-center-crete.com you can find a Toyota Yaris 1.3 or Nissan Micra 1.4 when in Autoway is a Hyundai Getz, or in Autopappas a Nissan Micra (only 1.0 <-- )

I would recommend finding reviews of all companies before proceeding to a booking... and remember that price are +-20 EUR in all companies, but cars may differ much more years to each other.

Edited: 19 May 2010, 12:14
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
179 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

Try Economy car rentals. We always use them in Crete

USA
Level Contributor
76 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

I ended up booking with Anna's Cars. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
132 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

A bit late to reply iw8, but I'm sure you've made a wise decision with Kostas at Anna Cars.

We use him regularly & Athens Cars on occasions as well. I've always found Anna Cars service second to none. There's never a problem with any dents on the bodywork etc, which happened the first time I used them, and the cars are always clean & in good nick. Their insurance is properly "all inclusive".

They aren't the cheapest in the local hire market, as opposed to the multinationals, but their cars tend to be newer than some of the other Cretan companies.

I've already got a couple of bookings for the year & hopefully they'll prove my faith in them to you as well.

Pete

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

I just used auto pappas and had a great experience with them. A gentleman met us at the airport in Chania and we left it at the port in Heraklion for a small extra fee. The car was in very good condition. We were happy with their service. We booked online and followed up with e-mails.

9. Re: Good Local Car Hire - Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:16