We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Kiev
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Hi,

first of all many thanks for TA community, all my trips were planned with the help of this forum, very helpful and interesting.

Some advise is needed: will be on Crete in August, arriving at Heraklion 07.08.

The plan was to stay overnight, to rent a car next day then to move to the South-West (Sougia village), stop there for 3-4 days and to travel around, then return car in Heraklion before our flight back.

I mailed a lot of rental companies but prices that they suggested were much higher than I expected for rather long rental (13 days).

I wonder how big are my chances to find a small budget car with good price in Heraklion ? I don't want to overpay but affraid to be without any car:). And if I risk - is there some area in the town where rent-a-car's concentrated ?

Your tips will be highly appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,547 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Walk-in prices are usually much higher than the prices for advance bookings, and in August you are likely to find that no cars are available. You will not find a better price than those available on the Internet.

Try looking at www.auroeurope.com and www.auto-europe.co.uk

Kiev
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Thank you for the links,

I've checked them - looks like they require full prepayment :(

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Hi Lelyk,

I would agree with Syndynick and also suggest pre-booking. I always found it more expensive when trying to hire while on the island.

I have used Athenscars a couple of times and already booked for September, cars to date have not been new but have been reliable to date.

http://www.athenscars-crete.gr/car-hire/

Bobo

Kiev
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Thank you Bobo,

I've already contacted Athencars and price was >30 euro/day for the smallest car.

As for me it should be less - last time (also in August) we rented a car on Crete and price was 90 euro for 3 days, and it was OK for us. This time I expected to have discounted price for 13 days rental.

I read some reviews that daily price should be reduced when period is much longer.

Or my logic is wrong? dear experts, please help to find out

I asked Athencars about discount, waiting for the answer

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

LelyK keep in mind that your 13 day period includes Greece's BIGGEST BIGGEST holiday of the entire Summer, August 15, so demand for cars may be at its peak at that time.

Kiev
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Thank you for the useful information. I will go on my searching then.

Just in case : if I can not find any car and go without pre-booking where should I look for rent-a-cars?

The best chances are in the airport ? or other places exist? may be somewhere in town?

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

Hi Again,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty organising one.

Another company I came across here that several TA members seemed to have good recommendations for was Annacars; Not familiar with them personaly but I am sure if you google it you will find their website.

There are also several on this link;

explorecrete.com/crete-cars/heraklion-car-re…

Just to let you know that some companies in Crete are not the fastest at replying to email. No harm to follow one up the next day asking them did they get the query you sent yesterday and repeat your original request.

Fingers crossed for you.

Bobo

Kiev
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

hi Bobo

thanks a lot for the support:)

My optimism is rising:)

crete
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

you can check for last minute offers at the following companies, I have used it the past and was really satisfied

Rental-Center-Crete.com http://www.rental-center-crete.com

Just Rent a Car http://www.justrentals.gr

http://www.rent-a-car-chania.gr

but for sure don't dare arriving at the airport without a booking... you will pay double for sure

rgds

Wales
Level Contributor
159 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rent without reservation - to risk or not?

I have booked with Europeocars.com based in Rethymno full insurance and reasonable reates and no deposit pick up at airport on arrival and pay on arrival