We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
406 reviews
Save Topic
Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

As I was leaving Crete yesterday there were huge queues at all petrol stations I passed. Word was that petrol deliveries were about to cease because of strike action. Does anyone have any information on this?

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

It's a truckers strike so deliveries aren't happening, panic buying to fill up before the garages run out (some already have).

I hope it doesn't go on too long!

Cascais, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

I am here now in Rythemnon with a rental car. There is no more gas at the stations in Rythemnon. I was planning to drive around Crete next week. Looks like I might have to turn the car in (still paying for the week) and get on a ferry. I need to end up in Athens on Thurs. for flight out. Any suggestions on a stop-over island on the way? (BTW- I have a plane ticket out of Heraklion, but the air traffic controllers are keeping domestic flights late and I don't want to miss my connection). Bad luck for my first visit to Greece and Crete.

www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/news.html

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

We stay in stavronemos few kilometres outside Rethymnon and have two rented cars. We need to go to Chania airport thursday morning (tomorrow) but need about 10 L gas. So if you want to sell some gas before turning the car in, we would be happy to buy some.

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Have the same problem ... But 1 day more time. Arrived on the last drop at our house and need to find a way to get from rethymnon to heraklion airport or get 10l of petrol ... That is how to screw up the last vacation day not knowing how to manage ...

GREECE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Welcome to Greece. Unfortunally on holiday season we give to you the...Greek hospitality. Same to be a Greek man

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

We had the same problem in Sept 2008. All the petrol stations around Rethymnon and on the National Road had closed, and we needed to get to Heraklion. We queued for over an hour at one of the stations just outside Rethymnon, on the Spili road. We then took the Old National road, to drive through the villages a little further inland, and had no problem getting more fuel there. (Although maybe not an option if the needle is on empty!)

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Things should start getting better soon. The government is forcing the drivers and the trucks back to work against their will and they expect everything to be back to normal after 24-48 hours.

sligo
Level Contributor
672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Great news Xaroula; it should put a lot of minds at ease that will be heading in your general direction.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

...and just to back up Xaroula's post, I saw an Aegean fuel tanker drive by yesterday, and the local Aegean garage is open today, following talk of being low on supplies two days ago.

BBC news report on the ending of the strike at www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10798260

Edited: 29 July 2010, 09:57
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Petrol (Gas) Station Strike

Well I'm staying outside Chania and haven't been able to buy any petrol today; getting a bit worried about the rest of my holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece