We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heraklion Airport

London
Level Contributor
603 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Heraklion Airport

Just returned and would like to warn people who will be using this airport. Expect delays due to "bureaucracy" from Airport staff. Apparently they have to justify their existence to keep their jobs (this is what I was told by Thomas Cook reps!) and are carrying out every possible check. My flight was delayed for over an hour whilst a "manifest check" was performed whilst we were on the plane and my brother's later one was nearly 2 hours late for similar reasons.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heraklion Airport

Heraklion Airport whilst not being perfect isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

A manifest check is standard practise at every airport.

Would you like to be on board an aircraft with a known Al Qaeda suspect sitting beside you, I think not!

Thomas Cook reps are the ones who have to justify their existence at an airport trying to herd people like cattle and not ground staff who are looking after your safety.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heraklion Airport

We came back from Heraklion yesterday and was amazed how easy it all was. Were expecting the queues outside airport etc but infact it was all really straight forward and efficient. Only problem was we then say on tarmac for an hour due to French Air Traffic controllers strike, but can't really blame that on Greece! However on the other hand Gatwick was totally horrendus and the worse I have ever ever seen it in 20 yrs of travelling!!

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heraklion Airport

For the most part I have found Heraklion airport okay, I think it is like most airports in that you can be traveling at the wrong time and just be unlucky regarding delays for varying reasons. Considering that it is busy for approximately just 6 months of the year I think they manage it reasonably well.

Springacre can I inquire as to what happened with regards to Gatwick? Just curious as I will be departing from there in a couple of weeks time.

Bobo

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heraklion Airport

Just seemed to be absolute chaos at passport control with queues going back for what seemed like miles. Took us a good 40 mins from getting off the plane to actually getting anywhere near going through. Good thing was it did mean our cases were already in the baggage hall when we got there! Guess it was due to so many delayed aircraft all arriving at once, but there were a lot of annoyed and tired people there. To give them their due they were trying to get us through but could have done with more booths being opened. Made me wish that we could have flown from nice small airport like southampton! Good luck when you go!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heraklion Airport

I return from there recently too and found the majority of staff ok. 1 staff member totally pathetic.

After checking in I was told to put my bag on the conveyor belt over there. They point. I walked and asked this one? They said yes. Then I put it on there (I was the first in line) and then another staff member walked over threw my bag away and told the others after me to put their bags on.

I didn't kick up any fuss. Just got my bag and asked if that person that told me had told me a lie? they said no this is the right belt. I asked why they threw my bag off and they had no reason for it.

Simple - out comes my camera, once my bag was loaded and gone, and I start taking photo's of her. She hated it. But I warned her that I will be using these photo's at some stage. She was apologetic but I am sorry it is too late.

After a few weeks hopping around the Greek Islands which was awesome she ruined it but i will be back as Greek hospitality really is one of the best except for the minority who seem to hate their job. God help her if I see her again though... More photo's shall be taken... Maybe even a video of some staffs bad customer service.

Thanks for reading. Had to get that off my chest.

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heraklion Airport

Just got back from Crete. The airport was hedious. the toilets inadwquate to cope with the numbers. Not enough seating. People where sitting every where and any where they could find . Mr partner and I had to use the tasble and I shared my seat with a desperate Israeli lady. People with kids didn't give up the children's seats even though they were half using them. Older people and those with disabilities were not even thought about. For a country that is well established within the EEC I was amazed how third world the airport was.

The Greek rely on the tourist industry but give poor value in return

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heraklion Airport

I think it must be a matter of luck of how many flights there are on the day you are there. We have just returned today and the experience at the airport was the quickest I have every experienced. Even though you have to queue twice, once to check in and once to have your bags scanned we weren't waiting more than a few minutes. We also sailed through security very quickly, and boarded quickly and efficiently. This was in total contrast to the experience we had last holiday at Larnaca Airport and that is brand new.

8. Re: Heraklion Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 July 2017, 17:06
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heraklion Airport

Hi there

I'm with npj here - we flew in and out of Iraklion a couple of weeks ago and had the smoothest transitions I can ever recall. Yes, there are three checks when flying out of Iraklion, one for baggage weigh in, one for baggage x-ray, and of course, personal security check. But it was well run and operated smoothly.

Remember that Iraklion airport was built when the tourist industry was in it's infancy - maybe 3-4 flight a day each with 100 passengers. Now, there are dozens of flights a day , each plane with maybe 200-250 passengers. You just have to be patient.

10. Re: Heraklion Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 04:16