We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter in Crete 2012

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Easter in Crete 2012

Hi all, I am sure some of you experts can help me as I am getting 2 dates for Easter in Crete. One seems to be early April, then i think the main Greek Easter celebrations is in mid April ??? Any advice will be appreciated as we we would like to come over, just need to get dates right as we only be booking 1 week...... Stella

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Easter Sunday is April 15.

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Thank you very much......

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Be sure to visit a family easter party, something not be missed

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Albert. Have booked to arrive on April 13th mid afternoon.Staying in Rethymnon at the Ideon Hotel. So we are looking for any good advice on how participate in some of the Easter festivities. We hope also to hire a car so we can visit Sfakia and see the war memorial in Askifou (may be spelt wrong ) Thank you Stella....

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Do you mean the war museum in Askifou, Stella? It's certainly worth seeing.

And there are war memorials in a great many villages in Crete - including Chora Sfakion, from where the Allied troops were evacuated to Cairo.

Just about every church in Crete will have an Easter service that you can attend if you want to.

I don't quite know how, as a visiting tourist, you would "visit a family Easter party" without knowing a family and being invited to the party - but maybe Albert can give you some ideas.

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

Hi Alabastron, Yes I have been looking at the info on the war museum in Askifou and been working the route down there, which is fairly straight forward we think. We did briefly visit Chora Sfakion a few years, but now want to see more of the area. Have also been doing a lot of reading and got a few books on the the war and difficulties experienced in Crete ( very interesting ). We stayed in Rethymnon in May and think it will be a good base to get about. With arriving in Crete mid afternoon, hopefully we can go to one of the churches there for the Easter service. We are really looking forward to being in Crete over the Easter period. Any further advice will be appreciated...... Thanks Stella...

Trento, Italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

I was just planning to stay the "Easter" weekend in Crete, as I found I cheap flight, but my Easter is from the 6th to the 9th of April... this means that I will not see any Greek Easter celebrations?

Anyway, I hope there is still enough to do there (I will be staying in Chania).

8. Re: Easter in Crete 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:16