We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit of help for Crete

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
A bit of help for Crete

We have been to Ag Nik and Rethymnon would love to go back to Crete but really dont know where to go we are both 60 like to hop on a local bus to visit places like walking like going out at the taverna at night we liked Rethymnon and Ag Nik at night is there any other place on this island that is simila what about Sissi Bali or Stalis what do these places have to offer us please

Suee

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit of help for Crete

Hi Sue

Sissi is a pretty fishing village with a lovely harbour, and plenty of life albeit nothing OTT. Bars, restaurants, shops and ATMs. Most of the village's accommodations are a long walk from the main road where the bus stops are located, other than that, I can't see any negatives. if you don't mind a walk, then it's ideal

Sissi and it's neighbour, Milatos

flickr.com/photos/…

Stalis is a much larger resort, great beach, right on the local bus routes, shops, bars and restaurants, it's situated between Hersonissos and Malia.

Bali - never stayed there but have visited many times. An expanding village resort but a bit off the beaten track for me.

Thing is, both Ag Nik and Rethymno have main bus stations, making it easy to get around to many various places. Chania is in the same situation, a main bus station and options to visit much of the far west of Crete. Or, the capital, Iraklion, which has two termini, serving much of the island. You don't necessarily need to stay in the capital, as the suburbs on either side all have good bus links into the city, as do most of the resorts to it's east like Stalis, Anissaras, Analipsi, Gouves, etc, etc.

Iraklion would get my vote as you can head west, east or south on the buses which encompasses so much of the central area of Crete. Have a look at the Iraklion schedules, see where you can access..

www.cretetravel.com/Bus_schedules then click on Heraklion across the top (or Chania if you want to see what's available from there).

if Chania takes your fancy ( and it is a lovely town), try to get a flight directly to Chania as it's a three hour bus ride from the other airport at Iraklion.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit of help for Crete

HI there

Sissi is a lovely village with a pretty harbour but unfortunately there is quite a walk before you get to the national road where you catch the bus so not brillant transport links.

Stallis is a large purpose built resort and very popular with British visitors who return every year, but doesnt have much of a greek feel to the place unlike Rethymnon and Agios.

I have only stopped for lunch in Bali so cant comment, but have you thought about staying in Chania? Beautiful Greek town, and if you liked Rethymnon then you will love Chania. So my vote would be for Chania and of course there are good transport links to other parts of the island too.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit of help for Crete

I would agree if you liked Rethymnon you will like Chania.

It's Venetian harbour and old town are is more extensive although the beach is not as close. There is an Ok beach about a 15 minute walk from the old town walls or you can take the bus to the very good beach at Falassarna probably something about an hour away.

You can take an excursion boat to Balos from Kisamos and I think any travel agent in Chania can book that for you including bus transportation. Of course there is always the famous Samaria George excursion. With my knees I have never even contemplateded that one.

Only 18km east of Chania you can visit Ancient Apter a fascinating mountaintop locations with1800 years of civilizationion. That visit will probably call for a taxi transfer.

Here are some pictures of Chania.

travel.webshots.com/album/571195659jPcKjK

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit of help for Crete

thanks for your time

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit of help for Crete

If hopping on a bus is important, I agree that definitely Sissi and possibly Bali do not fit he bill. Bali spreads out moving away from the main road, so if you pick an accommodation at the southern end, it will be a lot nearer the road - possibly as little as 400m - but the centre is almost 2km from the main road.

Stalis is as described above, plenty of people go there every year and it is a successful resort, but not very Greek. I think this would be the case particularly in high season, when it acts as a kind of satellite suburb of its two 'noisy neighbours' Hersonnisos and Malia, and attracts a lot of young adults as well as families. When are you thinking of going?

By far and away your best choice, given the fact that you like Ag. Nik and especially Rethymnon, is Chania. In many ways Chania is Rethymnon's big brother, and of course it is the hub for bus services in the area.

The biggest problem is that if you fly from any of the northern airports, I think you have to fly there on Tuesdays.

If you don't want to stay in town (and if you go on a package you may not have the choice anyway) there are some resorts to the West, much in the same way that there are to the East of Rethymnon town. Of these, Agia Marina would be my choice. Good beaches, good tavernas, 30 minutes by bus from Chania town, good walking in the immediate area and further afield etc.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit of help for Crete

I cant seem to find any holidays to Chania from my area Lincolnshire or Doncaster airport, looks like you have to fly from Gatwick or Manchester.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,571 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit of help for Crete

Hi,

What about checking some places on the southern coast ? While bus service may be less frequent you'll find tavernas etc and it's pretty good for walking.

Good luck with your choice.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit of help for Crete

Hi again

yes, you could check out south coast resorts like Ierapetra and Makrigialos, both very pleasant but if you do book one of these, make sure the deal includes a transfer or else you face a long bus ride ( with changes) or a very expensive taxi ride

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A bit of help for Crete

Another option would be Sitia. A nice town with a picturesque harbor lined with excellent restaurants and adjacent to a decent beach. Also, good bus connections to the northeast and southeast part of the island - beaches around Vai and Itanos, the Touplou Monastery, Kato Zakros, Ierapetra, etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A bit of help for Crete

Good shout Zakrosian, and again Sue, make sure a transfer is included to Sitia as it's a heck of a ride from the airport.