We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you recommend in Crete?

East Anglia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you recommend in Crete?

Hi, I posted this in 'which Island?' but was wisely advised to start a new thread, we'd like to go to Crete in early June and I'd love some help.

We are a family, with a 15 and 18 yr old, who love activities ie watersports, tennis, swimming pools, segways etc and especially good sandy beaches. None of us are into nightclubs or 'raving' evening entertainment but appreciate live music and good foody venues in pretty locations, and sight seeing. Please could someone recommend a location as we've never been to Crete, and .....possibly 'asking the impossible'... a reliable 4* (or better) hotel that is active and sociable but condusive to relaxation- I'd like to try and avoid the '18-30' type place or anywhere loud and disruptive!

One of my reasons for Crete is the promise of beautiful sandy beaches as I've been disappointed in the past by places I expected to have good beaches. Sorry to be so tricky. Thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

Rethymnon springs to mind first for me - a lovely working, lively bustling town, with a massive beach stretching for miles east of the town. There are lots of hotels in the beach area, but I am afraid I never stay in them so can't help you regarding facilities etc.There is a good bus service in the suburbs of the town, so it would be very easy to go into town in the evening.

To get a feel for hotels, you could do worse than having a look at Travelrepublic, then you can narrow it down a bit.

One thing I would say, is go B&B, so you can experience going to different places to eat every night.

I don't know if you are looking to book a package or do everything separately, but I should mention that Rethymnon is quite a distance from Heraklion airport, so if you choose a taxi transfer it will be costly.

Another option could be Elounda, very beautiful and interesting area, but might be a bit quiet for you and the hotels are mostly out of town and not as accessible as the ones in Rethymnon.

East Anglia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

Hi Steve_p53, Thanks very much for the info and advice, I'll start looking into those two straight away. Its so much easier to start with a recommendation. Best Wishes.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

HI there

Just to add to your list :-) why not have a look at Agios Nikolaos - Agios is a Greek working town with some great tavernas beautiful views and a good choice of hotels.

If you want a 4 - 5 star hotel then I would have a look at St Nicholas Bay hotel which is located 20 - 25 min flat walk just outside the town of Agios, but also only a 5 mins taxi ride away from the resort of Elounda as well. The hotel has its own small sandy beach which never get too crowded, although one of the best sandy beaches on the north coast of Crete is Voulisma beach which is located just outside of Agios ( 15 min car drive away).

Have a look at a link for the hotel and also the area of Agios and Elounda

http://www.stnicolasbay.gr/

http://www.agiosnikolaos.gr/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTif-B05G8k

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23878553@N03/6291406692/in/photostream/

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

No problem, if you need any more info just ask!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,646 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

Hi,

If you plan on travelling around there are some nice beaches in the south of the island. If you're based in one of the three towns on the northern coast such places make for a pleasant day trip. Something to think about once you have chosen your base.

Rethymnon, Greece
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

Hi!!!

Plakias is 35 kilometres south of Rethymno, on the southern coast of Crete on the Libyan Sea and is a popular tourist resort well-known for its award-winning Blue Flag sandy beach stretching for 1400 metres!!!!

flickr.com/photos/…photostream

All the area has the most beautiful (organized) beaches in Crete (Souda, Damnoni, Ammoudi, Schinaria), diving centre, free-riding centre,(especially in Damnoni we have water sports!)

Plakias has many good restaurants but also you can eat very good and traditional food in the near villages: Myrthios with excellent view (and live music every Freiday!!) flickr.com/photos/…photostream , Mariou, and of course Damnoni!! For a drink very beautiful is "ostrako bar" or "gialos". Modern bars with the sea view in plakias.....

There are also Beachbars in the bay of Plakias:

You can enjoy your afternoon coffee watching the incredible sunsets that produces Plakias: flickr.com/photos/…set-72157625033520489 .....

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

I may be wrong, and I too like Plakias, but are there any big 4* or 5* hotels there, as that is one of the things on Star-electra's wish-list:

<<a reliable 4* (or better) hotel that is active and sociable >>

However, Plakias would make an easy and good day-trip from Rethymnon.

Oxford
Level Contributor
185 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

Hi,

I've been looking at apartments in Plakias and they look really good. We like the idea of going to a less developed area but wonder what it would be like at the end of September beginning of October. Are there tavernas etc and would they still be open at that time of year?

Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

It will be quiet wherever you go, but Plakias is big enough and popular enough for there to still be people around, and just about everything should still be open. The great shut-down hasn't usually begun until the end of October. There's never a guarantee that things will remain the same year in and year out, but in these tough times I should think it's very unlikely that taverna owners will shut up shop before the last customer has disappeared.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you recommend in Crete?

I have been to Crete in late October and found places to be still open in many area though less busy. The weather was still hot and there were still tourists around but this year maybe things will be different, I am not sure.

To Star Electra, I would also add my vote for Elounda and Aghios Nikolaos as I think it would suit what you are looking for.

I know the St Nicholas Bay hotel although I haven't stayed there but you are missing out on a great Greek experience if you stay in the hotels for meals. A major part of a Greek holiday is eating in the local tavernas, trying some good local food and getting the true Greek experience. Ag Nik has some lovely tavernas and restaurants as well which should be sampled