We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

I know - 3 days is far from enough for such a big island like Crete.. but thats all the time we've got :S

We, a group of 4, are planning to take the overnight ferry from Athens to Chania, arriving Crete early in the morning of Day1.

Leaving at late night on Day3 at Heraklion Airport.

any suggestions of what to see/what to do for this short trip? We're hoping to see some cultural/historical stuff, relax on nice beaches and lots of good seafood.

Since we're leaving at Heraklion, probably we would go from Chania to Heraklion early morning on Day3. any ideas how long the bus takes? or any other alternative transport?

Also, is there any left luggage services at Heraklion? so that we can explore the city baggage-free...

thanks in advance!

:)

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,886 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Hi,

The must see is Knossos, the ancient Minoan site just outside Iraklion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

The bus from Chania to Heraklion takes 2.5 hours, unless held up by traffic, in which case it can take a little longer. The only alternative transport would be a very expensive (150 euros) taxi.

I'm almost sure the bus station has a left luggage depot - perhaps someone else knows for certain. I've often used the one at Chania bus station, but have never had occasion to need one at Heraklion.

If you get to Heraklion early enough, you should certainly go to Knossos: 20-30 minutes away by public bus. And if there is time in the afternoon before your flight, there is plenty to see in Heraklion, a nice city, unjustly undervalued (by tourists, not by those who live there).

Your first two days could be very well spent in Chania, a very beautiful city, with good food (including seafood) and good nearby beaches.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Hi there

Could I just politely ask why, with such a short time on the island, you are arriving at Chania but leaving from Iraklion? I ask as the major ancient sites are all in the central southern and eastern areas of the island, which makes Iraklion the ideal base. I agree that Chania could easily fill your time on Crete, it just depends upon what your priorities are as far as sightseeing is concerned.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Hi,

Seems like only one undisturbed day, all that overnight travelling is hardly relaxing.

Don't no when you are going to pack in culture, historical stuff, nice beaches.

The main excavated historical/archeological sites are in Central and Eastern Crete a long way away.

I would see Chania and maybe beach late lunch on arrival day just to re-charge, do the Samaria Gorge on day 2 and that's about it.

Day 3 just getting to Heraklion to recover, brief look around and departing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

RH s/he didn't say anything about wanting to walk the Samaria Gorge. Minus that red herring, they'll have two full days before leaving for Heraklion, which could be very enjoyably spent in Chania, with a bit of time on a neighbouring beach.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Well we are flying out from Heraklion for sure as those are the only available flights.. The flight I leaving just past midnight so we have three full days to explore...

In that case, would it be a better option to get the ferry to Heraklion n stay there instead of basing at chania? We thought it is 2.5 hrs away so probably isn't worth a day trip....

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Thanks for the detailed reply!!

As for beaches near chania, any recommendations? Hoping for a quite yet pretty beach nearby! We r staying at a resort around 20mins walking west of chania town!

Also, any particular seafood dish we must try?

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

Well we are flying out from Heraklion for sure as those are the only available flights.. The flight I leaving just past midnight so we have three full days to explore...

In that case, would it be a better option to get the ferry to Heraklion n stay there instead of basing at chania? We thought it is 2.5 hrs away so probably isn't worth a day trip....

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

>As for beaches near chania, any recommendations? Hoping for a quite yet pretty beach nearby! We r staying at a resort around 20mins walking west of chania town!<

Of the beaches west of Chania, I think Chryssi Akti, which is the closest, is also the nicest: it's wider than most of the others, and therefore less crowded; it's also further away from the road, so it's quiet. Chryssi Akti is walking distance from Chania town: about 2km. Perhaps that's where you are staying?

>Also, any particular seafood dish we must try?<

I can't tell you what to eat, but an excellent fish restaurants is Akrogiali, just west of Chania - check the Trip Advisor reviews. In town, there are a couple of good ones at the eastern end of the new harbour: you'll see them. Other good restaurants in Chania (though not sea food) are Hamam, The Well of the Turk, and Karnagio.

>In that case, would it be a better option to get the ferry to Heraklion n stay there instead of basing at chania? We thought it is 2.5 hrs away so probably isn't worth a day trip....<

Not necessarily. With so little time in Crete, I think Chania is a very good place to stay for a couple of days. If you wanted to see more of the main archaeological sites, Heraklion would be a better place to stay, but with your full day there you can certainly see Knossos and Heraklion itself. I think you're fine with what you've planned.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 05:33
10. Re: 3 full days in Crete - advise pls :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:17