We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental/international driver's license

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
car rental/international driver's license

Hi everyone,

So we just ran into a snafu when we tried to do a rental car. the information we recieved was that we had to have a international driver's license (we are coming from the US) - which we were planning on getting from AAA here. However, Elounda car rental place said we had to have the license for one full year in order to rent a car. I tried to do some googling - but I couldn't find a for sure statement about this. Is this the law across Crete? Do we have to have the international license for one year in order to rent? Because if there is no possibility of renting a car because of that restriction we don't want to go to AAA and get the license.

I emailed Hertz (they rent through our hotel) but I have not heard back regarding this issue.

Thanks for any help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental/international driver's license

The usual requirement is that you must have held your ordinary driving license for at least a year.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental/international driver's license

Hi there

Can't say I've ever heard that regarding an IDL- as long as you have an IDL, you should be fine, after all, how many people would apply for one just on the off chance that they might go to Europe at some time in the future?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental/international driver's license

That sounds odd: perhaps it's a rule peculiar to Hertz.

I think you should try another rental firm. In any case, it's better to use a local firm: they look after their customers better, are generally cheaper, and by using one you'll be contributing to the local economy.

I have no experience myself, as it's years since I've hired a car, but Athenscars have been frequently recommended here.

http://www.athenscars-crete.gr/car-hire/

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental/international driver's license

I am sure it's your ordinary driving licence you must have held for a year, after all the IDP is only a translation of that.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 12:06
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental/international driver's license

In addition, every IDL that I've gotten is only good for a year, so it seems that you're being asked to provide an invalid license in order to rent a car.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental/international driver's license

That's odd - this is from the AAA website:

NOTE: International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six (6) months in advance of desired effective date.

That's why we haven't gotten ours yet, probably won't do so for another couple of weeks (we leave end of June). But we're also going to Crete, so I hope it's just an error on their part!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental/international driver's license

That's what I thought (re: 6 month rule) This is from the Elounda Rent a Car website - where I originally obtained my information and concerns (this is a local agency that I was going to go with first I only emailed Hertz because it seemed that we wouldn't qualify based on the terms/conditions below):

All Renter's must hold a valid European Union or International Driving Licence, issued at least one year before the rental.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental/international driver's license

I suspect it is just bad phrasing from someone whose first language is not English. I think what it is saying is that the actual driving license (issued in EU or internationally) must have been held for at least one year.

The document issued by the AAA is called an International Driving Permit, and has no validity except in conjunction with your usual driving license. You cannot have held an IDP for more than a year, as they are valid for only 12 months.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental/international driver's license

This is an issue that has come up before. It's a misunderstanding and the chances of you being able to set it straight are very small.. The license is good for a year but you can use it as soon as it is issued to you. Just go to another rental company.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental/international driver's license

As you've likely now figured out the issue is they want you to have at least one year's driving experience as the IDP (Not IDL which is a useless scam) is only good for a year.

The problem is that most North American issued licenses do not have the original date you were first licensed. I have been driving for over 40 years. But if I showed the folks at Elounda my just renewed Ontario license they'd think I'd only been incensed for less than a year.

I have no idea how to get around this if push comes to shove. Perhaps you either need to clarify this with them in advance or find a different agency to deal with. For a rental in Athens in 2008 I used http://www.economycarrentals.com and the car was supplied by Avis. The price was the best I could find and the car and customer service from the Avis agency was first rate.