We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not booking ahead Makrygialos

newmarket suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Not booking ahead Makrygialos

Hi we shall be in Crete for 10days leaving here on May 23rd Apart from the first 2 nights when we intend to stay in Agios Gallini we have nothing else booked.

We have a vague plan of driving east towards Makrygialos for a few days then ending up in Elounda (maybe) for a few days. Has anyone any tips for turning up on spec at accomodation without a reservation or recomendations for good simple places to stay.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

Hi there

This is probably our favourite way of travelling in Crete, and as long as you arent too fussy where you stay then its great. As you have already done we usually book the first night and then take pot luck, so we stop where we like the look of...we have stayed in some wonderful village homes, and also some 5 star hotels at discount rates - but probably our favourites have been the village homes - wonderful :-) so I would definately recommend it.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

My favourite place to stay in Makrigialos is Maria's. It has the best location in town, right on the beach.

http://www.makrigialos-crete.com/index.php

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

Hi there

Definitely the best way to travel in Greece for sure, all I'd say is that if ancient sites are of interest to you, then you have three close together, Faistos and Agia Triada to the east of Timbaki and Gortys which is right by the side of the road just outside of Agii Deka.

I'd also make a full day of it and spend a couple of hours in Ierapetra before making the final run to Makrigialos.

newmarket suffolk
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

Thanks a lot we are really looking forward to it. Just need to book a car now!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

Have a great trip.

6. Re: Not booking ahead Makrygialos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:40