We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

We will be on a cruise and will be in Angios Nickolaos for one day. We know we won't and can't see much of Crete in one day. Any suggestions. We will have a private driver for 4 to 6 hours. We don't need to see every historical site. We love experiencing a country, not just looking at the tourist sites. This is our first cruise, we usually travel independently.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

Aghios Nikolaos is a lovely port town. If I had my way i would ditch the driver and just walk along the harbor stopping for lunch and a little shopping and perhaps a cafe doing a little people watching. To get into a car and leave A.N. for another destination when you have such limited time doesn't make sense, IMO.

But then I have never been on a cruise before.

P.S. Plus they have a small well-respected archaeological museum.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 05:53
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

Hi there

For a real taste of Crete, given your short time ashore, I would hop in that car and ask the driver to take you to the lovely inland town of Neapoli. It's bustling, there are usually fruit and veg vendors in the wide square, there are several museums and a stunning church, the interior of which will leave you breathless. Then, take the road from the top of the square signed for "Lassithi", this winds up through the mountains to the Lassithi plateau, 3000 feet up, where you'll find a peripheral road linking 15 or so tiny villages. There's a network of pathways that criss-cross the plateau, lots of fields full of olives, fruit and vegetables and plenty of Cretan small holders going about their business.

You can then go back to Agios Nikolaos the way you came and spend whatever time you have left having a wander around the town.

Neapoli

flickr.com/photos/…

Lassithi ( older, scanned photos)

flickr.com/photos/…

Agios Nikolaos

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157612483683872

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157612483683872

swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

hi,

Definately book a trip out to spinalonga,either book onto one of the many boat trips going out there from the harbour of agios nikolaos or maybe a taxi out to the village opposite the island and get a water taxi from there.

Would be a good idea to read up on spinalonga and its history to give you a feeling for the place if you decide on a visit.

All the best.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

Hi there

I agree with Scaffolder - I think if I only had a few hours to spend in Agios I would head straight for Spinalonga, rather than catch one of the boats that leave from the harbour in Agios I would get a taxi (5 mins walk from the harbour where the boat docks) to the small village of Plaka, (15 min by taxi) if possible I would try to catch the first boat across to the island at 10.00 am (8 euros return) then a further 2 euros to get onto the island, spend about an hour or so wandering around the island catch the boat back to Plaka, have a coffee there and then a taxi back to Agios.

explorecrete.com/crete-east/spinalonga.html

http://www.east-crete.com/plaka.htm

If you enjoy reading and havent read "The Island" by Victoria Hislop - I would recommend it as good holiday reading and will enhance your visit to Spinalonga too.

http://www.victoriahislop.com/the-island/

Have lunch in one of the lovely tavernas in Agios, then depending on the weather you could either have a swim at one of the town beaches, my favourite is Ammoundi beach (10 min walk from where the ship docks) , or do some shopping, Agios has some lovely jewellery shops and also some great shoe shops too :-)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/EN-Agios-Nikolao…

if you still have some time left then you could always have a trip around Agios on the "happy train" or take a trip on the semi submarine, both these leave from the harbour right where your ship docks. Or just wander around the back streets of Agios, and you'll see lots of "Greek life" as Agios is a working greek town and not just a tourist destination - enjoy your cruise and I hope you enjoy your short stay in Agios too :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

I would use the bus or taxi to go to Elounda, one of the most popular village/resorts on the Island. From there you can catch one of the many boats to take you to the island of Spinalonga, a few minutes across the bay.

If you haven't already done so, read Victoria Hislops "The island" a fictional story about this former leper colony,and it's inhabitants, a great read, and not as depressing as it sounds.

After that you could have a leisurely lunch in one of the taverna's in Elounda and a stroll about. On your return to Agious Nicolaos, you would still have time to wander about , before boarding your ship.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions . I think it is a good idea is to stay in Angios and spend the day walking around and seeing the sights.Why go to another town to see unique things when you have it right there ? Now can you give me some good lunch spots, shopping etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

"Why go to another town to see unique things when you have it right there ?"

Hi again

Well, I based my reply upon your initial post where you said you had a car and driver at your disposal. Unique means just that, you will find sights in Neapoli that you won't find anywhere else on the island, and as for Spinalonga, which others have suggested, it's one of the best and most thought-provoking sights in Greece. but it's your call naturally

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

Your right. We let the driver go and will focus on A N.

9. Re: What to see from the port of Angios Nicolaos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:42