We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

Hi everyone! My Fiance and I are getting married on 21st July and haven't booked our honeymoon yet (I know we are leaving it rather late!) We were considering trying to get a last minute deal holiday in Crete in August for 2 weeks. We are aged 25 and 27 and aren't really into going to big package holiday hot spots/ places with lots of bars and nightclubs. In the past we have tended to stay in small and friendly areas with access to nice beaches, nice Tavernas/ restaurants. We also love going off the beaten track to explore as my h2b be can only spend a few days on the beach before he starts getting bored! Other islands we have holidayed in Greece before are Skiathos and Kefalonia both of which we loved but fancied trying somewhere different. Any suggestions of towns to stay in or holiday companies to use would be fab! Thanks Em

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

Hi Em,

We are a similar age to yourselves and honeymooned in Zante last year. We stayed at the Bitzarro Grande in Kalimaki and would highly recommend the hotel and island. Kalimaki is relatively quiet but with easy links to the whole island for any excursions. This year will be our first in Crete so can't really answer about that.

Mike

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

Try Sissi. Nice little fishing village, great places to eat and dink but away from the 18-30 clubbing crowd. Great harbour to swim and snorkel in and a few other beeches close by. you can hire a car or bike and go exploring further afield

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

I would endorse Sissi, but only if you are going to hire a car, as transport links are fairly poor. It's about 2km from the main road where the buses go, and there is only 1 a day which actually goes from the village.

I would also have a look at Elounda, plenty of exploring to do on your doorstep - Spinalonga, walks, Ag. Nikolaos etc., and still only an hour's drive or just a bit more from the eastern town of Sitia, the south coast near Ierapetra and Heraklion.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

I too would go for Sissi.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

If you want romantic go for a nice stay in Paleochora it is a small place and has everything for every one and once you have been I wager yo will be going back for many aniversaries If you do go there be sure to spend a night up in Azogires in the good company of Lucky Koukoutsakis my much older brother

Edited: 19 July 2012, 21:36
Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

I love crete, been everywhere multiple times. To me you seem to want to get away from it all and go to some spectacular beaches etc off the braten track- go to plakias on the south coast from rethymnon. Hire a car from heraklion when ubget there easy... From plakias which has nice beach u can do day trips to skinaria beach LOVE this, damnoni beach and if adve nturous frankocastello. U can also visit preveli if you drag yrself away from beaches.... Otherwise paleaohora which another poster suggested also good but not as remote...

Sissi is FAR TOO full of british tourists! Elounda has a crap beac and also full of uk tourists. Packages....

Depends what you want

U ciul try mainland eg stoupa in peloponese is perfect fir u

Edited: 20 July 2012, 05:59
Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

for a good marriage, party, hotel etc contact www.bestmoments.gr

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

I enjoy moving from place to place, so I'd fly to Chania, rent a car and explore the southwest - Paleochora, Sougia, Chora Sfakia, Matala. Any or all would offer good sightseeing, hiking and beach time. Spend the last couple days in Chania.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 15:04
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

I'm probably coming in on this a bit too late, but it may help others if not yourselves...

Firstly congratulations to you both; you should have got married on Saturday if all went according to plan :)

Speaking from experience my husband and I spent our honeymoon initially in Loutro (soooo romantic - no roads in/out; everything and everyone arrives and leaves by boat/ferry :) It's totally unique and we have no regrets about choosing it) We stayed there 4 days and went to Sweet Water Beach a couple of times - by boat of course- where below the stones on the beach, the water's so pure from the mountains that you can scoop it up in your hands and drink it;) The sea's crystal clear and as there's no roads in/out it's very quiet as there's only those who have access by little fishing boat or who walk there.

One day we got the ferry to Agia Roumelli and walked half way up the Samarian Gorge and back. That was lovely. And there's lots of walks from Loutro as well. The tavernas are superb and the food's magnificent. There's several good hotels there too.

Then we got the ferry to Paleochora for the remainder of our time. We loved that so much that we've been returning there every year since (18 years in all). Plenty of information about Paleochora on the Chania Prefecture forum

Have a wonderful honeymoon wherever you decide to spend it.

10. Re: couple age 25 considering honeymoon in Crete this summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:18