We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Hi we're soon flying into Heraklion and our hotel is in Gouves - the cheapest quotes i could fine on websites with pre-bookable taxis was £45 return. This seems quite expensive for an 18 mile journey! What are others experience - is it cheaper to pay a local taxi driver when we arrive?? Many thanks

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

I have took several times a taxi from Herakleion airport without having booked it previously! It's not very expensive but it depends to the taxi driver. I believe that it may cost 30-35 euros!!!

S

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Hi there

You have a couple of options - the listed one way cab fare this summer is about €30 and that would give you door-to-door service. You could take a regular bus, they run through the airport every 15 mins or so, and any eastbound bus with Hersonissos, Stalis, Malia or Agios Nikolaos will set down on the main road to the south of Gouves from where it might be a fair walk to your hotel of course.

You could also investigate using a transfer company like ResortHoppa or Transfers4U, both reliable, they will charge per person so may not work out cheaper than a cab if there are more than 2-3 in your group

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Hi there

The cab fare shouldn't depend upon the driver at all - there's a chart on the arrivals wall detailing AGREED fares to most of Crete's resorts and towns, so check to see what the listed fare is, and let the driver know that YOU KNOW what the fare is. The drivers are supposed to stick to these agreed fares so if he knows that you know what the fare should be, he won't try to overcharge.

So, before you get in, say to the driver, "Gouves €30 OK?"

Guiggy, I've just realised that you have been quoted a return fare of £45, and not for one way. That's a good deal, £22.50 each way so a bit less than the usual fare.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Often the taxis do not stick to the agreed fares. Two weeks ago a taxi from Heraklion airport to KTEL Chanion cost 12 EUR and on Saturday I paid less than 7 EUR for a larger distance from my hotel to the airport.

Therefore, it is a good idea to know about "normal", "average" prices and then ask before the taxi starts.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 15:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

You mean the KTEL station in Heraklion from where buses leave for Chania, don't you? (Just in case someone thinks they can get a taxi to take them from Heraklion airport to the bus station in Chania.)

Edited: 13 August 2012, 17:54
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

Yes, I meant the bus station where the buses leave Heraklion and head in the Rethimno/Chania direction. I am sorry for the confusion.

7. Re: Better to pre-book airport taxi ior not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:16