We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
206 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

I will be travelling alone for the first time in October (I am from Canada and am going to London to visit a friend) and would like to travel to Crete for a few days (my friend is unable to join me, unfortunately)...I am not interested in partying - I would like to perhaps rent a car and check out some of the sights on the Island. And because I love to swim and sunbathe, a safe hotel/BB with a pool that is located on or near a great beach is a must...Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have never been away from my husband and kids for any length of time so this is quite the adventure for me (and a little scary, too, I will admit)...I'd also like to get the most for my money and I am trying to adhere to a budget, so budget friendly options are welcome :) Thank-you.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

I can recommend the small south coast village of Kalamaki, a few miles north of Matala: explorecrete.com/crete-east/EN-kalamaki.html

(NB Not the other Kalamaki.on the north coast near Chania.)

This small, family run place is right on the beach, and has sea view rooms for E35 per night. http://www.kiknos.org/index.html

There is a public pool about 200 metres away, which is quiet and very well maintained. You can see it in the top centre of the aerial photo on the village website.

There are a selection of tavernas on the beach front, including a couple serving excellent sea food.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

Kalamaki is a good suggestion. I can also recommend Sougia, which has one of the very best beaches (and the best swimming) on the island. It's small and friendly, and there is a lot of good accommodation. I'd suggest you try this one: close to the beach, in the centre of the village, with friendly, helpful owners:

www.sougia.info/hotels/arhondiko/index.htm

but all the accommodation featured on the website is good.

Crucially, though, you haven't said which airport you are flying to and from. Crete has two. If you are using Chania, Sougia is the answer, two hour's drive from the airport; if you are using Heraklion, Kalamaki is the better choice.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 15:07
British Columbia
Level Contributor
206 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

Thank-you! Well, I have been looking at websites for flights from London to Crete and the majority of those flights seem to fly into Heraklion..So it looks as though Kalamaki might be a better choice..I'd love any other suggestions for lovely areas, great beaches and a nice, friendly vibe :)

CRETE
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

well if you fly to heraklion maybe you should check some of the bali area . Certainly the waters are not equal to those of the south but still a good place with lots of thing to do and it is protected from the winds. Some might say also agia pelagia but i personally do nto like the place since it is crowded. If you rent a car you can stay in rethymno or agios nikolaos and try the beaches near there.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

I would recommend Sissi, a nice little nice fishing village, low key night life with some great tavernas & bars. Good car hire available from www.autorentals.gr. It has a nice little safe beach at the side of the harbour where you can always swim because it is protected by the breakwater and is used by the local ladies first thing in the morning as well as tourists. only 5 minuts drive to the main highway which allows you to explore both east & west of the island. I good amazing cheap hotel is the Palm Bay at around €23 a night B&B. right beside the beach & harbour

Edited: 05 September 2012, 17:18
6. Re: Quiet, safe beach destination on Crete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 10:17