We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to leave luggage in boot?

We picked up our car today from Intercar (nice folks!) and was strongly warned not to leave ANYTHING in the car unattended- hidden or not...

I don't see any recent mention about this in the forums. Is it unwise to leave our luggage in the boot? There is an "intercar" sticker so it is obvious that it is a rental...

This would change our plans drastically if we were to have to go to a hotel first and check bags before visiting the sights...

Tomorrow we are a Knossus- any update on leaving the luggage in the boot in the parking lot there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

I'd love to be able to tell you that "Yes, it's safe to leave your luggage in the boot". But it would be very unwise for me, or for anyone, to do so. Crete has always had a low level of property crime, but there are exceptions to all rules, and I doubt that anyone here would want to contribute to your being one of those exceptions.

Obviously you are taking a risk if you leave your luggage unattended. It may be a very small risk, but you've had a "strong" warning from the Intercar people, who surely know better than anyone on the forum what the level of risk might be. I expect it's greater in a car park used mainly by tourists than it would be anywhere else.

This has got to be your decision: there's no point in your gathering opinions. Others may tell you "Of course it's safe", but they are only telling you that they have never experienced theft. But my opinion is that I wouldn't take the risk. I'd change my plan, drop my luggage at my hotel, and start sightseeing with an empty boot.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Hi there

If I recall, you were looking to stay somewhere around the Knossos/Archanes area on the first night ( sorry if I'm wrong about that) so why not make the shortish ride to Archanes, drop the bags, and then make the short hop back to Knossos? It's on the same road.

Heraklion, Greece
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Hello,

Totally not worth the risk! It is certainly not a wise choice to leave your luggage in the boot (or even unattended for a minute). Theft is not only one of those things to be afraid of, but also potential damages to the car from those who may try to break in the car. Incidents of people being followed for long distances, just because the robbers had a suspicion that there might be something valuable in their personal belongings, are not rare anymore (mostly because of the financial crisis).

The alternative of wasting half or even one hour in the worst case scenario to leave your luggage at your hotel is totally preferable.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Thanks for the responses! It will involve us changing our plans as we were intending to see things on the way and stopping for the night. I just had checked the forums before and not seen any warnings but I am not surprised if things have changed with the difficult times...

Oh well, improvising and juggling is one of the interesting aspects of touring and I am glad we didn't book things in advance!

England
Level Contributor
901 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

We are in the same boat. We were going to visit Knossos on the way from Heraklion to Rethymnon, so not really very practical to drive to Rethymnon, drop luggage and drive back again! But I think our Heraklion hotel has luggage storage, so we might leave it there and then go back to collect it. Perhaps you could do the same? (That's if it's safe to leave your stuff in the hotel!)

BTW, we visited Sanibel Island on the way to Bradenton last year - and ... left our hire car with all our luggage in the car-park ...

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

I don't think the advice has anything to do with 'the difficult times' as you put it. The advice wherever we have travelled is not to leave anything of value in a car, particularly if it is identifiable as being a hire (rental) car.

If you do have to leave it at Knossos, try to find a parking space which is in a very open area, preferably reversed up against a wall or fence to make access to the rear as difficult as possible.

oswestry
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Hi, we were in Crete in June. We were on a beach near Heraklion airport after a long drive to Matala. We decided to go for a walk along the beach and so took our things from the beach and locked them in the boot. We were gone for half an hour. When we got back to the car, everything had gone!!

Cameras, I pods, money, clothes, the lot!!!! We will never leave anything in the car again. We were obviously being watched, but we have learnt our lesson. To make things worse, we tried to claim off our travel insurance, but "VALUABLES" such as cameras, money, etc are only covered if they are in the HOTEL SAFE. Check the small print! Even the staff at First Choice Travel were unaware of this, although they had been on courses regarding travel insurance. After spending hours at the Police Station, my husband was made to feel the criminal rather than the victim.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Matala
Matala
Crete, Greece
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

Well, having grown up in New York I am both aware of the need to be "street smart" and also the over-concern that could exist ("are you really going to stay in New York? Are you going to bring a gun?!")

Patti- one thing I would never do is put anything away in the boot and leave it-as you said it is too easy to watch. I would have driven off, put things away and possibly driven back but better yet gone somewhere else to walk around.

The only reason I mentioned difficult times is that my hotel host and a friend who is a long time Crete resident both laughed about the risk of a boot being broken into in the way I laugh when folks ask me about packing a gun to visit NYC... Of course it is possible you will run into trouble no matter where you go and if it happens to you of course the risk is 100%!

But it is possible that things have changed enough to make the rental folks more aware and savvy than the general population so I will likely be heeding their advice more than not...

Edited: 20 October 2012, 07:11
Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
9. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 08:50
10. Re: Safe to leave luggage in boot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 09:01