We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best resort in crete?

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
395 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
best resort in crete?

we would like to visit crete for the first time,after visiting plenty of greek islands in the past. (my favourite is skiathos!! ) we are in our 50's. can't decide which resort, gouves and rethmynon sound lovely?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi there

It really depends upon what you want out of your holiday, and especially, what you want to get out and about and see. Gouves is close to the airport, no more than 15-16 kms so a short transfer, it's right on the main north coast road bus routes, it has bars and restaurants a plenty and a buzzing, albeit nothing OTT atmosphere. I've visted several times but never stayed there, if Steve p-53 drops in, he can advise further as he regularly stays there.

Rethymno is about 90 kms west of the airport, a busy, university town with loads of character, architecture from several periods in history, a huge Venetian fortess and arguably, the longest stretch of great, sandy beaches on the island . If you get a direct transfer to Rethymno, i.e. no drop offs en route, it'll take around 90 minutes.

The main archaeological sites are much closer to Gouves, although it's relatively easy to access the south coast sites of Faistos, Gortys and Agia Triada from Rethymno. If however you wish to see the likes of the Lassithi plateau, Spinalonga island, Knossos, the great sights in the capital Iraklion, Malia Minoan site and the like, then Gouves makes a better base as this avoids lots of long drives as you would incur from Rethymno.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi

Here's a thread from this time last year which describes Gouves:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g655745-i11898-k…

I went again last summer and the main street was much quieter than it had been in the past, a few places had closed and most of the rest were pretty empty - largely due to the ever-increasing number of hotels converting to All-Inclusive. However, the area near the Island Hotel was still much the same as always, with plenty of great places to eat, 2 sandy cove beaches etc.

The big differences are that Rethymnon is a busy working town, and Rethymnon is much further away from the airport. I also visited Rethymnon on a day trip last year, and was glad to see it was as lovely as always. It is very busy in high season, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your preferences.

Bear in mind that a lot of package accommodation in Rethymnon is a few km east of the town, in the suburbs such s Platanes/Platanias, Adelianos etc

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi there

Sorry for asking, and you say you have never visited Crete before.....but just wondering why you choose Rethymnon and Gouves ??? as they are both very different..so a strange combination :-) .....just wondering what you would like from your holiday ??

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best resort in crete?

thanks for your indepth knowledge, crete sounds a great place to visit. we usually get a car and see the places we visit though not every day, we like to chill by the beach or pool, we like somewhere with nice restaurants/bars thats not too lively so I think Rethmynon sounds a bit too busy,could vist for a day, Sissi sounds a nice resort too.We will bear in mind all the transfers you listed it's nice to be not too far from the airport.

thanks again,great help for the headache of booking somewhere when you are trying to get it right.

also if MG100surrey is reading this, I got the resorts off travel companies but had no idea they were so different so thanks for that.also thanks steve-p53 great up to date info, any idea what kos is like?????

Edited: 06 January 2013, 11:03
Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best resort in crete?

hello me again, do you think I should book with 1 of he main travel companies or direct? if not do you reccomend any hotels? also we have looked at elounda any info on this resort sorry to be a pest!!! but thanks a lot.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best resort in crete?

hi, we got the resorts off a travel site so didn't know they were so different, not like the old days with all the info in the travel mags!!! just starrted looking really, we also fancy elounda or even kos, it's a bloody headache. plenty of time though not going till end of june ish? thanks again.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi busstop13

I do know what you mean - its so difficult to decide on a new destination. I havent been to skiathos so I cant make a comparision. But Elounda is a lovely resort, very pretty, lovely harbour area with a good selection of shops, tavernas and bars, but nothing OTT.

I also do some searches on You Tube before I go somewhere new, it helps to get a bit more of a feel for the place...anyway heres a link to some of the Elounda searches to get you started :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vmtaitrPE

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi again

Sorry I didnt answer your question about booking direct or with a travel agent, once I have choosen where I want to go...resort, and apartment or hotel etc I then do a comparision on cost and see which one comes out the cheapest :-) Its usually booking direct, but occasionally you can get a really good deal with the travel agent.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best resort in crete?

Hi again

The "biggest" difference between Kos and Crete is its size, Crete is 300 kms long , but you can drive from one end of Kos to the other in an hour. No doubt it's a pleasant island, I've been a few times and seen all of the island's sights but I personally don't think it's a patch on Crete which gives you so much more choice.

Much more history on Crete, stunning scenery, mountains, lakes, gorges, and so much variation - large cities, rural villages, small fishing villages and both lively and relaxed resorts

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
395 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best resort in crete?

thanks for your speedy reply, it's definately crete just looking for resorts again, ruled out gouves now, hubby didn't like the look of it on you tube, didn't know all this before, amazing!!!! my partner likes the look of ag nik &rethmynon, I fancy sissi, let battle commence!!!!!!! thanks again,