We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete in July with teenagers

england
Level Contributor
755 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crete in July with teenagers

Hi thinking of Crete for this years hols. I don't wont anywhere to busy I know I'm asking a lot in July.I like the village feel not AI .I spend the day by the pool then an meal in a taverna with a few wines must be pretty and chilled. The big problem I have a husband and two teenagers (15,17). Husband likes things of interest to see not into just siting and the teenagers like Greek dancing not busy bars but more going on. Can anyone suggest somewhere that would unit us all.We normally go to Kassiopi in Corfu as the people are so friendly. Everyone else wont's to go back but I feel like trying somewhere new. We tried skaithos last year and it was lovely but didn't have that village feel it seamed to miss a centre or meaning place it was more a long road with apartment and bars. I know I'm asking a lot but can anyone help. Think this will be the last or one of the last family hols as kids at that age where thy wont to do their own thing but I won't let them !

Mentioned in this post
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Hi there

If you want a place with a village feel then you could do a lot worse than to consider accommodation in one of the hillside villages that overlooks the resort of Hersonissos. There are three villages, Old Hersonissos, Piskopiano and Koutouloufari, all are relaxed and laid back, all are quite traditional, all have a good choice of restaurants and tavernas, and there's plenty of available accommodation.

For the kids, it's a 15 min downhill walk into Hersonissois where there's loads of shops and the beaches, plus there are bus stops all along the main drag in Hersonissos making it easy to get out and about. The villages are just 22-23 kms from the airport as well, so no long transfers.

If you'd prefer somewhere similar, but with a beachand a harbour right there, look at Sissi, a bit further along the north coast, to the east of the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Hi there

We have always stayed in Agios Nikolaos in Crete for many years, we were first attracted to the place because I thought it would suit us all...including my sons who were 15 and 18 at the time :-) ...they still go back to Agios most years now and met up with some of their Greek friends that they made during those first holidays :-) So I would suggest you look at Agios, good choice of accomodation, some lovely beaches and great tavernas too.

I have just booked a villa holiday to corfu a few weeks ago and we are going to Kassiopi for the first time - I am hoping that its like Agios :-)

If you do like the look of Agios then please do let me know if you would like some help for accomodation, places of interest etc etc

england
Level Contributor
755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Hillside sounds great for me but not sure what kids would think .Ive been looking at Sissi as it looks like there's more for the teenagers but didn't know if it had a village feel or was to commercial .I google the hillside villages you mentioned. Thanks for the info

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

I hear warning bells. If, as you say, your husband and teenagers all want to go back to Kassiopi, and if, as you say, this is likely to be your last family holiday together, then why not be gracious and do as the other three want, and save your "somewhere new" for another summer?

I'm sure you'd love Crete if you did come, but pushing against the flow is always hard work, and rarely works.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,633 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Sissi does have a village feel, but there is far less to do there than in the neighbourhood of the villages above Hersonnisos, or in Ag. Nikolaos, or in Kassiopi for that matter.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Exactly.......Haven't been to Sissi yet ( roll on June) but my research so far has given me the impression that it may not have the 'energy' that your teenagers would appreciate.

If you stay at the villages above Hersonnisos, the (downhill) buzzing beach fronts have lots of activities that would probably entertain them and there is plenty going on in the villages themselves of an evening.

I'd go with the advice of the DE's here.

For village feel with easy access to teenage exciting stuff and having stayed there...........Well I'd go for the villages above Hersonnisos. :O) :O)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

Ive been to a few greek islands but had one of the best holidays bar none last year in Afistos in Halkadiki that was a true greek village superb it was

leicester
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

stick with Camari took my son and daughter last year and they have booked to go back this year

9. Re: Crete in July with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 07:16