We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Could anybody give me advice on a resort to stay in on Crete.We are planning to go in August self-catering so want plenty of restaurants to choose from.We have three teenager daughters so want somewhere lively with bars and music but not 18-30s attmosphere.A nice sandy beach is a must and we will travel round by public transport.We are travelling on a cheap as possible budget.Thanks for any help you can give.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Hi there

Stalis ticks all your boxes, lively without being OTT, superb beach, loads to do and see, shops, bars, restaurants, ATMs if you need them and the resort sits right on the main north coast bus routes, making it easy to get out and about.

It's also well placed for exploring this area of Crete, loads to visit within a maximum one hour drive and much is closer than that. It's also just 25 kms from the airport so there are no long transfers to contend with.

If your daughters fancy a rowdier night out, then the two resorts of Malia and Hersonissos sit either side of Stalis and are but a short bus/taxi ride away.

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
2. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 23:02
england
Level Contributor
777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

I'm taking my two teenagers 15 +17 to Koutouloufari. I know it's not the first place you think of for teenagers but I'm thinking I can give them more freedom in a village like this with out panicking what their getting up to. They won't be tempted to wonder of to Hersonisis on their own because their to idle to walk back up the hill. They both like Greek night so I'm sure there will be plenty of them and most Greek villages there's stuff going on . Think what I'm trying to say is it depends what your Teenagers are like and how much freedom they get at home. I thought of Stalis but a lot of the apartments I liked were walking distance into Malia this made me uneasy but I'm a stick in the mud . Hope this doesn't muddy the water to much go with your gut. I've traveled all around Crete in my mind the last few day before I Finally picked Koutoufari .

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Hi

In Stalis we always book the Panorama, which within 100 mtrs to the best beaches, lots of loacal resturants & tavernas & Malia is 2km away, no overspill here.Near the local bus stop if you want to go to Agios Nikolaos, Heraklion, etc. You can book on to boat trips and visit local villages such as Mohos. You are within waking distance to Star Beach water park, and Koutouloufari is appox 1km walking distance from here.

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
The Panorama
The Panorama
211 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Star Beach
Star Beach
1,591 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

If the girls are trustworthy then I can't see if it matters how close or not any apartments in Stalis are to Malia. Jill J doesn't mention their ages and of course, everyone's entitled to their opinions, but given the choice between a village, albeit a very pleasant village up on a hillside, or a beach resort, I know where most teenagers would prefer to stay.

Koutouloufari is quite laid back and authentically Cretan, but apart from the tavernas and restaurants, there's really not much for anyone to "do", especially teenagers who wouldn't use the bars or tavernas anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Cretan Family Restaurant
Cretan Family Restaurant
237 Reviews
Crete, Greece
6. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2017, 23:02
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Hi there

I think that "majority" of teenagers would be quite bored in Koutouloufari, I know my boys would have been ..its very pretty and some good tavernas but not much to do for them...

Another choice that you could look at would be Agios Nikolaos different to Stalis as its a working greek town with an all round population, both my sons loved the town the first time we took them there, Agios is very safe but with enough bars to keep them happy without being 18 - 30 - and far enough away from Malia and Hersonissos so I didnt have to worry that they would be tempted to sneak there in a taxi :-) Agios also has an excellent transporation links to other parts of the island too...

Mentioned in this post
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
england
Level Contributor
777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

I'll wasn't knocking the choice of Stalis and very nearly booked it myself after lots of advice off this site .and a do plan to go for the day as i looks very pretty.II was just saying I was taking mine to Koutoufari and why I chose this resort . Both my teenagers are trustworthy and I know they would be fine in somewhere like Stalis but I'l feel happier in a village. In a village MY teenagers find it easier getting to know people . My son (17) will happily sit with a group of Teenagers nattering and listening to music on there phones . if there's a pool table it's a bonus and if theirs wi-fi even better. Roll on July we'll be at the Sunrise Apartment if anyone wont's a chilled out family holiday.

I know I'm going off thread here but my big problem going away with teenagers is getting my 15 year old daughter out of bed before dinner any advise on that would be great

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Sunrise Apartments
Sunrise Apartments
404 Reviews
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

Perhaps I shouldn't say this, but I think you are courting trouble by taking your teenagers to Koutouloufari. When you first posted, you told us that neither they nor your husband wanted to go to Crete at all, they wanted to return to Kassiopi, but you wanted to go to Crete, and it looks as though you won.

You could rescue this situation, which is already fraught with potential problems, by taking your family to a resort you will all enjoy being in. I have never been to Koutouloufari, but those who know it are telling you that your teenagers will probably be bored there. That seems a recipe for disaster to me - but you know your family, and perhaps you've chosen well.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 11:56
Mentioned in this post
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
england
Level Contributor
777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in Crete with teenagers

I know what your saying and it does sound abit strange but they only wanted to go to Kassiopi because they know they like it there . Out of choice they would only eat in two or three places and go in two bars.

When I asked my Son why he liked it he said "its good cos you can just do nothing"

Although their choice would be to go back to Kassiopi as soon as I showed my husband Koutoufari he said get it booked .

My son wanted to know why we couldn't stop longer than two weeks ,so were going as a family for two weeks and then my son and I are stopping another 6 nights. Hes even said he'll walk with me to one of the other villages he was that keen to stop longer.

The resort you choose is very important but I also feel its about the sort of holiday you won't and being around like minded people. I'm sure we will go back to Kassiopi but you never know they might get the Crete bug. Even my Daughter is getting in the holiday mood and starting to plan wot new clothes she needs . I've had loads of good advise from people on this site and I use that to make my choice . As long as the weather is good I'm sure were going to have a great time and in July we shouldn't have a problem ,but these days you never can tell

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece