We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat or fly

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
boat or fly

I have seen many posts on the height of season preferences but we are coming to crete the first week of March (not exactly peak season) but like less crowds and therefore is perfect.

But cannot find any real schedules yet for a boat and the flights on 3 airlines seem to be a bit high. And think the boat ride from Athens would be fun!? Am I wrong? Should we just pay for the flight?

Crete
Level Contributor
508 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat or fly

Hi

I assume that you're coming from Athens to Crete . Aegean airlines have fights from Athens to Heraklion at 26 to 34 euros for a one way flight on 4th March, which is very cheap.

I really wouldn't want to spend the night on a ferry in March. The sea could be rough and it would be a lot more expensive than a flight. It also takes a lot longer.

Have fun

Jackie

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat or fly

Hi there

Early March may not be "peak season", in fact it's a full two months before the season begins, and the weather is likely at best to be very changeable, you "might" be lucky and get some dry, fairly warm days or you might have howling gales and pouring rain. The sea and any hotel pools that are open will be way too cold for swimming in, and unless you make for one of the larger towns with a year round resident population, you will find pretty much everywhere else is still closed until May.

Given the likelihood of rough weather in early March, I would fly rather than take the ferry.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat or fly

Ferry schedules are out for the whole season until October, no problem at all.

Schedules have been the same for decades, in March about 21:00-21:30 daily Piraeus to Heraklion and Chania. Currently 36 € with ANEK, or 41 € with Minoan.

http://www.anek.gr/

http://www.minoan.gr/

The journey is dull even if it was daylight as it's largely open sea so you see very little, however arriving at 06:00 means easy onwards travel to where ever in Crete you wish to go.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boat or fly

thank you all very very much but now I don't know if there will be absolutely nothing to do and wonder if we should just stay in Athens??

Jackie the flights may be 26 but the taxes are another 35, but probably still cheap as you say for this flight. I also think your correct that it may not be fun.

To GB we don't care much for pools and I love walking on a quiet cold beach but it sounds like you know there will be absolutely nothing at all to do. Although you say stay in a larger town with "year round population" does this mean that Heraklion will have plenty to do? Will there be hotels to stay in? or cars for hire? perhaps we should stay closer to Athens??

and to Retired Hippy (your name reminds me of what my husband aspires to be in the next five years), but the boat sites won't tell you the total price until you put in your credit card info so the price is probably the same as a flight and I'm with Jackie on a cold boat ride (not fun)

I guess any further advice will be well taken. Should we stay nearer to Athens?? We like to experience the people without all the touristy stuff but thought we would still be able to see some ruins.

Thanks again for all of your help

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat or fly

Hi bozzie

If you head for Chania, Rethymno, Iraklion, Agios Nikoloas or Sitia, you will find life going on as usual, bars pen, shops open and there will certainly be car rental agencies open. The first three on the list are very large towns, large resident populations and apart from lack of pre-season visitors, you'll see little difference in March than you would in July.

It gives you the opportunity to see the island and it's towns for what they are, without the mad crush of July and August, buses will be running albeit on a winter timetable and as long as you don't mind the chance of not-so-good weather, I would go for it.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boat or fly

I was in Crete in March last year, and it wasn't dull at all. In the major cities the life went on as normal. We visited Knossos and Heraklion museum without any queuing. Museums in Agois Nikolaus and Sitia were closed due to re-arrangement, but else all sites around Crete were open. And not least, after some snow in the mountains in the end of february, the weather was great.

We paid some 70 euros for the flight. A ferry ride with a cabin would have been more. The ferries sails night only in both directions.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boat or fly

We went to Lemnos last year and the first week a gale blew up, in conversation we heard a couple were coming over by boat from Athens to save money on the flight, which was expensive, the boat was cancelled for about three days and then took 10 hours to get in. They paid the plane fare back and that was in June.

That would be my worse nightmare lol

8. Re: boat or fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 06:17