We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

Hi I have been looking and still can't get a solid answer.

I want to get a ferry from Crete to Gythio in August (possibly stopping off at the island of Kythira too). If this possible? Is it on certain days only? Thank you!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

You won't get solid answers with Greek ferries they can so easily change, frequency, day of week, and port....

It is a matter of chilling and accepting this and go on the days the ferry goes from the port that is current, staying flexible is a fundamental.

Your route is possible but not frequent at best about 2 times a week from Crete and about 6 days of the week from Kythira to Neapolis, to Gythion less.

Same all year, don't expect it to increase if at all in August.

This is probably the best reference, look in July:

http://www.kythira.info/

Lane ferries, and the Porfyroussa.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

Many Cretans would welcome independence, but for now Crete is very much IN Greece! I think you mean Crete to the mainland :)

Iraklio, Crete...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

As one poster indicated, it's not so easy to get solid answers right now, due to the baroque way the Greek Merchant Marine Ministry works. They have to approve every ferry schedule, every year again, and won't be ready before the end of March usually. Fortunately, also usually, these schedules don't change much from year to year. LA.NE is the company (www.lane-kithira.com) that serves these routes in the area.

So, with that in mind, it'll be safe to assume that you can take a ferry in Kastelli Kissamou (aka Kissamos) on every Thursday morning (that's once a week) at 07:00 and arrive in Gythio at 14:15. This ferry stops in Antikythira (09:10) and Kythira (11:15).

On Saturdays there is a ferry leaving Kastelli Kissamou at 14:30, stops at Kythira at 18:20 with final destination Kalamata at 23:40.

Finally there is also one to Monemvassia, leaving Kastelli Kissamou on Sundays at 17:00, with stops in Anyikythira (19:10) and Kythira (21:15), arriving at 23:25 in Monemvassia.

Plenty of choice, and a combination of these should get you where you want to go. Be advised that Kythira (and Antikythira) are crowded in August (when the Greeks go on holiday and "touch base" with their native islands) and are EXTREMELY expensive compared to Crete or the Peloponnesos where you're heading.

Happy travels and enjoy Greece, in particular Crete ;-)

Methoni, Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

Hi everybody! Thank you for your information so far. But I still have one question: I want to go to Crete (preferably Kissamos) from Gythio in November but I havent found anything about winter timetables. I guess best is to go to Gythio port and ask there... Right? :)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

Crete is in Greece, it has been from centuries ago, and it will remain that way for those ones to come.

Crete's famous archers took part in every major conflict against any enemy of Greece thoughout history. There are referances from Heliad in Troy, to Alexander the Great in his glorious campaign, till the most recent liberation of Macedonia in the early 20th century. We had hundreds of rebelions during the occupation of the Othoman Empire and did not stop untill the union with the rest of mother Greece.

Those "many" (I asure you they are extremely few) as you say 2bristolians are completely ingonrant of history, and as intelligent as a box of rocks.

We have the same blood, we speak the same language, we share the same legacy an customs. That is a definition of a nation by Herodotus.

No offence taken by any chance just making a point here :o)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

That post made me smile gerlion......one of the many things we loved about Crete was the pride/passion that the people have for their heritage.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

Thank you Jock, that passion kept us alive throughout the years :o)

8. Re: Crete to Greece ferry HELP please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:16