We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Suggestions

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Suggestions

Myself and my partner have been planning to book a holiday in Crete, during May, but now have my in-laws plus stepdaughter and boyfriend in tow, lucky me!

So what I need to find is a resort to suit 2 x 70 year olds, 2 x 45 year olds and 2 x twenty somethings, not easy!

Any suggestions for somewhere fairly quiet but with a good selection of bars and restaurants, but not in the middle of nowhere, somewhere fairly flat with accommodation within a 5/10 minute walk of the amenities? Any suggestions/hints/tips much appreciated.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Suggestions

Hi there

Sounds like a lovely holiday :-)

Have a look at Agios Nikolaos, Agios is a working Greek town that attracts tourists 6 months of the year, so you get a good mix of locals and tourists....and it would suit all the various ages, as there are a few late night bars for the younger ones, but definately not an 18 -30 resort...some excellent traditional tavernas with beauitiful views looking out to sea, and some chilled out cafes and bars for the rest of you too.

Agios is just under an hour from Heraklion airport, and less than an hour from Knossos and only 10 mins drive from Spinalonga - if you want to visit some historical sites, also some very pretty traditional villages in the immediate area too ... Kritsa and Neapoli.

The town has four main beaches, three of these are sandy, and only 15 min drive from one of the best beaches on the north coast of the island, Voulisma or golden beach.

The town has a good flat paved type promenade, (unusual for Greece) which is well lite so ideal for a leisurely walk into town in the evening, and although some of the back streets are a bit hilly, the vast majority of the town is flat.

Have a look at these links and see what you think, if you like the look of Agios then am happy to make some accomodation recommendations if needed or answer any questions :-)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/Agios-Nikolaos.h…

http://www.agiosnikolaos.gr/

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
131 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Suggestions

I would suggest Stalis if Aghios Nikolaos seemed to quiet for the twentys. There are plenty of tavernas and bars to suit everyone, also Malia is the next resort with all the clubs for the younger ones. There is a nice beach and the beach road is flat

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Suggestions

<<Any suggestions for somewhere fairly quiet >>

I'm not sure I agree that either Ag. Nik or Stalis meets that requirement? I suppose it depends on what you think of as quiet! Both have their hills as well, but they can be avoided.

I would think maybe Sissi or Elounda, but neither is particularly flat. Elounda may be OK if you get accommodation near the harbour.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Suggestions

The beach road and resort centre in and around Stalis is fairly flat, so there would be no problems insofar as hills etc in getting around. Plenty of good accom choices on or within a short walking distance of resort centre and beach.

If you want any accom recommendations in Stalis to suit your requirements, please come back and ask.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Suggestions

Elounda would probably fit the bill, providing the 20 year olds don't want a mad night life!! There are plenty of tavernas and a few bars, aimed at families and couples who want a chilled Greek experience. If they did want a change they could always take a bus/taxi to Ag. Nik, which is a bigger sprawling town, with a more livlier nightlife.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Suggestions

<<I'm not sure I agree that either Ag. Nik or Stalis meets that requirement>>

Steve I'm not sure that I would bracket Agios and Stalis together??? and in comparison to Stalis Agios is definately very quiet!!! :-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Suggestions

I know what you mean, but no town is what I would describe as quiet.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Suggestions

.......you havent seen my local town on a Saturday night Steve...now thats not even "fairly quiet " but a ghost town!!! welcome to Surrey :-)

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Suggestions

What about west side of Crete?...i would suggest either Rethymnon city with an accomodation at the side of the city beach (i believe so, that spending time on a beach is in your possibilities) or in Chania area at Agia Marina or Platanias. Rethymnon city is a wonderful city, has a fairly decent beach, full of restaurants and bars and a good base point (If you rent a car, even for one or a couple of days) for any daily trips to nearby places like Heraklion (Knossos, etc.), Kournas Lake, Argyroupolis Springs, Chania city, etc. The same happens with Platanias or Ag. Marina areas which are right on the beach, lots of restaurants and bars (especially Platanias), really close to the Chania city and it's beautiful Venetian Harbour and suitable for daily trips to Falassarna, Elafonisi, Balos beaches and other places. also you said you are planning for May, so everywhere it won't be full of tourists (i hope for otherwise since i'm on the taxi business, but i don't see that happening... :) ), so it won't be really busy and loud anyway.

10. Re: Resort Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 04:17