We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or taxi

San Diego...
Level Contributor
42 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Car or taxi

I will be arriving at Heraklion airport at about 8 pm and then going to Elounda for my first visit to Crete. Is it better to take a taxi to my hotel or to rent a car? I will have two and half days on the island and will want to get around, but could taxi to the hotel and then rent a car. Suggestions appreciated.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or taxi

Hi there

If you only have a couple of days on Crete, then hire a car and have it waiting for you at the airport. A return taxi ride to Elounda will be in the region of €150 and I bet a car won't cost anything like that for 2-3 days, even if you require an automatic. You can also drop the car off back at the airport.

It's a direct and straightforward ride to Elounda, just depends whether you will be too tired after a long flight and are OK with driving in the dark. If you're the least bit uncertain, then bite the bullet and take a cab, better than ending up in a ditch.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
42 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or taxi

Thanks. Won't have been a long flight. Just going from Santorini.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or taxi

OK, that's fine, a short hopper flight and only 20 or so passengers to disembark at the airport so you should be clear of the airport pretty quickly. I would certainly pick a car up at the airport then, shouldn't be an issue as you guys are already used to driving on the right anyway. Just take it steady, exit the airport, follow signs for new National Road (E75), it will be signed for Agios Nikolaos, follow all the way to Ag Nik, then follow signs fro Elounda.

There is a much quicker and shorter way to Elounda via Neapoli but it will almost ceratinly be dark and those roads are narrower and rather twisty. If it's daylight when it's time to go back to the airport, you can always go back that way.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 12:54
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car or taxi

Hi there

Yes definately hire a car to enjoy this beautiful part of Crete, if you do need any recommendations for this area of Crete then please do just let me know.

Haifa, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car or taxi

What about 7 days in crete?

Haifa, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car or taxi

what about 7 days in crete with 2 kids?

Do you reccomend to rent a car for the whole week?

Best,

Fabian

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car or taxi

Crete is the island that a car is essential for the visit. It's even cheaper per day if you hire it for a week than 2-3 days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car or taxi

It depends to some degree on where you are going to be staying, and on what you want to see and where you want to go.

The public buses in Crete are excellent: comfortable and reliable and cheap. But they don't go everywhere, and if you want to do any exploring off the beaten track, you will need a car. With children, especially with little ones, a car will make your exploring easier and more enjoyable.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car or taxi

Hi there

I would recommend that you do hire a car, although the buses are very good you aren't able to stop off where you like the look of as you are with a car....and with two children (not sure of their ages) but who are probably impatient!!!! :-) there is a lot less waiting around in the hot sun too...... price wise you are looking around 20-25 max per day for A class type car

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car or taxi

The bus system is fine, but there are so many "off the beaten path" opportunities in Crete that a car makes all the difference. And with 2 kids, a car could be less expensive than busing around the area. And driving is no problem - if what I've heard about driving in Israel is even half true, it'll be a relaxing experience.