We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car baby seats

Birmingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Car baby seats

Hi,

We are travelling to Crete mid may with our 8 month old daughter and was wondering on the car seat laws within Crete.

If we take a shuttle bus from the airport or take taxis once at our accomodation is it law or just recommended we take our car seat with us from England ?

Thanks

Lee

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
197 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car baby seats

Hi leeders10!

I don't know whether there is such a law in Greece, but from what I have seen, in case you want to use the bus do what you would do at home.

As for taxi rides, I think keeping your daughter in your lap at the back seat is the common practice.

I am sure that Kostas who is a taxi driver will soon see your post and provide more specific info.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car baby seats

hello leeders, hi anna

I can't speak for sure about the shuttle bus service, if the provide "proper" (as i customer of mine said) baby seats, that's something you would have to look up yourself. As far as the public bus service, by 99.9999...% they don't.

As far taxis concerns, most of us don't have any kind of baby/child seats in the car, unless we are talking about a prebooked transfer, for example an airport transfer or anything, that we would now about the request of a child seat, at least an hour ago or longer. It simply takes too much space in the trunk to have it with us all the time. And then, most of the baby/child seats that i have seen on some taxis aren't in a good condition or they are simply child boosters, which aren't proper for a 8 monhths old. It happens that i have all the range of ages on that kind of seats (0+, 2-3 and boosters) since my son is now almost 3 years old, so i have "invested" already on his safety.

About bringing your baby seat from england, i don't know...if you don't plan of renting a car to move around so that you want to know where your baby seats on, it might not be needed. Car hire companies provide baby seats too but the same thing of not in a good condition seat could happen. So you better see for yourself first the seat and decide if to hire the car from one company or another.

The law requests all passengers to have safety belts on and the babies/children to be on a baby/child seat. Unfortunatelly, as many other laws for safety, police usually just makes a remark on the driver and not fining him, unless they are on a direct order to bring back some tickets for money gathering reasons (I still wonder when this kind of greek mentally is going to change). So, as far as hoping on a bus or a taxi and holding your baby on your lap, especially on a short ride, you will definetely not get fined. The sefety issue is something that it should concern yourself.

If you need any more info let me know,

Kostas, info@taxi4crete.gr

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car baby seats

Hi

There is solution for you if you rend a VW Passat which has a convertible child seat at the back. It's probably in the most of the Passat models since 2006. Check the following URL.

germancarblog.com/2006/01/vw-passat-integrat…

I belive if you make a query to a few car hire companies you might find a model that does have a convertible seat. Of course you will need a booster too as you child is 8 months old and the seats are for 3+ yo. I'm sure the car hire company will provide you with a booster.

There is a law about children siting on baby seats, rarely enforced though.

Greece has a high rate of car accidents so by all means do use a baby seat.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car baby seats

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

Ideally we don't want to hire a car as don't really plan on travelling too much while in Crete. I suppose it's really the shuttle bus I'm concerned about. I wouldn't take any unnecessary risks with her but can't see the shuttle bus company having a baby seat to put her in. I'm taking it the police wouldn't stop the bus for this ?

Thanks

Lee

5. Re: Car baby seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16