We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort for us?

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort for us?

Would love to have recommendations, please, for the best resort in Crete for us to visit in mid-June.

We are a fun-loving couple in our 50s/60s who enjoy local culture and nice bars and restaurants, but are not keen on being surrounded by kids! Also, we do like to eat local food, not fish 'n' chips and English breakfasts!

It would be a first time for us in Crete and would be hoping for a short airport transfer, a nice apartment, warm temperatures and pleasant beaches. And would we need to rent a car? All comments much appreciated.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 14:24
Chester
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort for us?

Hi,

as your profile says you like nothing but the best I would suggest the Blue Palace in Elounda. The hotel is 45 -50 min walk from the harbour in Elounda but only a 5 mins walk from Plaka harbour where you can get the boats across to Spinalonga. Plaka has about 12 restaurants 1 mini market and several craft gift shops.

Last year was our first visit to Crete and Elounda / Plaka were the best introduction to Crete I could of wished for.

Transfer time was about an hour by taxi which the hotel arranged for us.

I am sure you will get a lot of other suggestion as the people on this forum are very helpful and knowagable.

Keith.

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort for us?

Thanks so much Keith. We do tend to prefer an apartment rather than a hotel but that does sound very tempting!

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort for us?

Hi there

Not sure what your budget is..... but just 10 min drive from Keiths recommendation is the lovely family run Mirabella Apartments, situated between Elounda and the Greek working town of Agios Nikolaos these apartments get excellent reviews and many return visitors too - and if you don't want to drive you can walk into the town of Agios, its a pleasant 40 min walk with sea views all the way too, Agios has some lovely shops, tavernas and a few Greek bars too, great for people watching.

Don't worry .....there isn't an English pub or English breakfast or fish and chips to be seen for miles :-) in both Elounda and Agios you will only find excellent Tavernas selling greek food :-) Here are some links with more info :

http://www.mirabella.gr/

http://www.agiosnikolaos.gr/

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort for us?

Sounds excellent! I'll investigate tomorrow. Many thanks.

halifax
Level Contributor
878 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort for us?

We are a similar age and love Elounda will be there end of May this year.

We stay at Hiona apartments which are situated right next to the sea with fantastic views, a lovely pool and bar and only a ten minute walk to the harbour, or the windmills and sunken city in the other direction

We find the night life here perfect for our needs.

Lots going on but not too noisy and lots of choice for eating and drinking.

Trips to Spinalonga leave from the harbour or Plaka and if you want to shop there are plenty shops and the beautiful lake at Agios Nciolaos which is only a short bus ride away.

Hope this helps.

Sue

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort for us?

Thanks Sue. Very helpful indeed,

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort for us?

Thanks again to everyone for their help. We have now decided to go to Ibiza, persuaded by my wife's cousin who lives there! Hope I survive the nightclubs!

halifax
Level Contributor
878 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort for us?

Glad that you have found somewhere nice to go and I'm sure you will enjoy Ibiza.

I'm not familiar with this Island but spent 2 weeks in Menorca a lot of years ago and at that time had the best holiday ever.

I have now discovered the Greek Islands though so to me there is no contest.

Enjoy.

Sue

London, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort for us?

Thanks Sue. We'll be back to the Greek Islands in a flash, I know. Everyone should be allowed one small aberration at my age!

10. Re: Which resort for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:18