We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prounounciation!

Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Prounounciation!

Hi,I wonder if anyone can help me? How on earth do you pronounce the village in Crete called Piskopiano? Thanks in advance.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
840 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prounounciation!

Try this site, it's very good!

www.oddcast.com/demos/tts/tts_example.php…

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prounounciation!

Just as it's spelled, with the stress on the final o. So it's Pisko-pyanO.

Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prounounciation!

Thanks a lot Momofaz, that's a great site, really helpful!

Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prounounciation!

Thanks very much 2 Bristolians! I am absolutely hopeless at pronounciations, can read the Greek words ok but can never work out how to pronounce them properly.Thanks again!

5. Re: Prounounciation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 16:41
Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prounounciation!

Ok thank you,I think the part that got me was is it peeeano or pyyyano! And I somehow feel that when you pronounce these words to Greek people it's much better if you get the pronunciation right, thanks again.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prounounciation!

Jeffaber, it's just great that you make the effort, so many people don't. Yes as npj60 has rightly said, Greek is mostly pronounced as it is spelt, but you do need to know where to put the stress. It doesn't help that many British tour operators don't include the accent in Greek place names (eg Piskopianó). Without knowing where the accent is, you don't know where to stress the word and without the correct stress you may not be understood as I have found out the hard way!

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prounounciation!

And in my experience, the stress is rarely where a native English speaker would naturally place it :-(

I just tried the oddcast link with a few Greek words with and without the stress, and it does pronounce them differently. Clever stuff.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 22:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prounounciation!

>And in my experience, the stress is rarely where a native English speaker would naturally place it :-(<

That's right. English speakers will tend to place the stress on the penultimate syllable (Piskopi-AN-o) but it is rarely there in Greek pronunciation. As 2bristolians says, the stress is on the final syllable.That isn't always true in words of many syllables, but the stress is rarely on the penultimate.

Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prounounciation!

Thank you!I will continue to make an effort even if the Greeks haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!!