We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather week of May 13

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
349 posts
1,425 reviews
Save Topic
Weather week of May 13

I am in the "packing stage" and need to decide what type of clothing to bring.

We are starting out in Chania then we will be in Heraklion. I would like to get an idea what the forecast is for next week (arriving 13 May) - temperature (Farenheit), possible rain.

After Crete we are going to the Pelopponese and Athens for a week.

I am sure people who live in Greece get tired of being asked about the weather, but it is very difficult to get an accurate forecast from overseas. The various weather websites are "all over the place" when it comes to their predictions.

We are not "beach people" so I am not looking for a bright, hot, sunny forecast. I just want to be prepared for whatever it may be.

Thank you in advace.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather week of May 13

Hi there

Well, a forecast is only that, an approximate "guess" based on pressure patterns, winds and so on. Mid May can be rather variable and the various websites I use for weather in Greece all point to it being a bit unsettled for the next few days or so. One thing it won't be is cold, so as long as you have a sweater or a fleece for the evenings when it cools right down, you should be OK. You might have showers, but they rarely last for long, after which the sun will be back out again

I have a friend in Crete who lives close to Iraklion, he told me yesterday that the weather has been unseasonably warm up till the end of last week, but now it is unsettled for the weekend, after which it will become dry and sunny again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6299488

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
349 posts
1,425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather week of May 13

Thank you. I know weather forecasts are in no way an exact science. I was just trying to get an idea of what to pack. Last week the temperatures in Athens were like summer temperatures, but I know island temperatures can be quite different. We have been to Greece many, many times. May is a nice time for us to visit becuase we like to do lots of walking and exploring archeological sites. In our younger days, we spent hours basking on the beautiful beaches, but those days are gone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather week of May 13

Try this:

accuweather.com/en/…182654

I've usually found them pretty dependable. And the forecast for next week looks good. I hope they're right: I'll be there myself that week!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather week of May 13

We had showers yesterday and today too.

It's not cold or anything, a sweater with a hood if good enough for the weather. The showers lasted for no more than 10 minutes 2-3 times a day, that's all. Hopefuly it will be different next week

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather week of May 13

In Matala on 10th May showers seem gone , a few clouds to bring shade. Swimming in the North was good and here it's nice too with lots in the water , but no crowds in town at all - very quiet.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather week of May 13

Hi there

Just back from Crete yesterday and we have had unusually hot weather for this time of year and it was 30/ 32 c most days and around 24/26c during the evenings.

However the weather changed on Wednesday and we had some rain and cloud although it was still warm at around 24c during the day and 18c during the evening - which is a more "usual" temperature, even if it does rain in doesn't last very long :-)

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
349 posts
1,425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather week of May 13

Thanks MG100surrey - beautiful cat, BTW!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather week of May 13

Thank you :-) she's a Maine Coon :-)

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
349 posts
1,425 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather week of May 13

Thanks everyone for your help. Both of the weather websites provided are MUCH better than I have ever found previously. I hope they are right because next week is looking lovely according to them!

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather week of May 13

have a look on Kato elounda accuweather.com it shows for the month and looks lovely after this weekend.

Hope its correct as we go on the 21st.

Sue