We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete or Santorini?

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Crete or Santorini?

Hi,

I would like to visit Crete or Santorini in July alone for a week. But I dont know those places. Which one do you offer? And in what parts should I like for hotels. I would like somewhere close to the center and beach as well. Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete or Santorini?

Hi Amelie

If you know nothing about these islands, I wonder (politely of course) why you have chosen them as possible places to visit? Santorini is tiny, 18 kms long, a week might be too long there for you, Crete is huge, 300 kms long, a week will never be enough.

Please, read a good guide book so that YOU can decide which one is the best option for you. What interests do you have? What do you want to do and see ? How will you get around, car, bus, or what? For Crete particularly, we can't tell you where to stay before you have decided what you want to see on the island - there is no one place that is central to use as a base.

So, please, give us some help so that we can help you. Thank you

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete or Santorini?

Thanks for your answer. When I said I dont know anything, I meant I have never been at those places and of course I dont know where the center is, which beaches are nicer etc... I want a peaceful holiday, lying on the beach, nights walking in the streets, maybe visiting some historical places if there is. In that regard I guess Crete is a better option... In Santorini the place called Oia seems nicer but I dont know the other places... I search since days and couldnt decide... And I will come by plane....

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete or Santorini?

Oia does not have a beach nor does Fira, the centre of Santorini. For a beach holiday you would need to stay at Kamari, Perissa, Perivolos or some other place on the north east coast. Bear in mind however that these are mostly black volcanic grit beaches, wide and long but a far cry from what most people are used to.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete or Santorini?

OK, thanks for that. With a week, I would choose Crete as it is so much larger and can offer you a huge range of things to see and do. You will need to pick one area of the island for your base and use your available time to the best seeing the places within that area. I take it that you prefer a smaller place than a large town or city? What sort of accommodation do you want? if you would be happy with a self catering apartment or studio, I would look here..

www.mikesbeach.gr

They are basic, but clean and well run , family owned apartments, right by the sandy beach in the small village of Anissaras, 20 kms east from the airport. All apartments have en suite, a balcony and a kitchenette. Anissaras has a few bars and restaurants but is peaceful and relaxed. There's a flat paved pathway that joins it to the next village of Analipsi where there are more bars, restaurants and shops.

If you walk up to the main road to the south of the village, there are bus stops on either side, west to the airport and Iraklion, east to Agios Nikolaos. The east bound buses will also take you to the Minoan site at Malia and if you go to the bus station in Agios Nikolaos, it is easy to reach Spinalonga Island. Knossos site is easy to reach from the bus station in Iraklion too.

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete or Santorini?

Thank you. That was helpful. Crete sounds better for me... I will search those places you mentioned...

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete or Santorini?

Another thing you need to think about is which of Crete's airports are available to you? Crete has 2 international airports, Chania and Heraklion, and where you stay aill partly depend on which one you are flying in to.

If you want to stay in a proper working town, where people live all year round, then Chania, Rethymnon or Agios Nikolaos may be more to your liking. Rethymnon is more or less equidistant from both airports, but quite a long way (80km or so) from both, Agios Nikolaos is only accessible from Heraklion airport - it is about 60km. Chania town is only about 12km from the airport of the same name.

All 3 of these towns have beaches, Rethymnon's is the biggest, stretching for several km east from the town centre.

7. Re: Crete or Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 05:17