We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort and Out of season advice

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Resort and Out of season advice

Hi All,

Sorry to post a topic that has probably been up numerous times but I have searched through older topics and not really found the answers I need.

I am looking into coming to Crete in September. Timings are not known exactly just yet but it will almost certainly be anytime from 10.09 onwards.

I am looking for a bit of advice on what resorts to look into visiting. I will fly into Heraklion airport so ideally something closer to there. I am mid 20's but I am not big into clubbing etc. What I like is somewhere that has many nice places to eat with lots of bars that are open late but not clubs. I also like to visit other places and maybe do a few excursions depending on whats available.

Any suggestions on where to look into are welcome?

Also I have never been to Greece in September, is this classed as out of season and if so am I to expect some places to be closed?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

Hi there

The season officially finishes at the end of October, although over the last few years it appears to be getting shorter...so you will still be visiting "in season" and everywhere will still be open .....However, I would suggest that you stay somewhere that is open all year round, as the later into September you travel the quieter some of the resorts get. So as you are flying into Heraklion can I suggest that you look at Agios Nikolaos which is a busy Greek town with plenty of tavernas, bars etc open all year round, so it will definitely still be busy well into October.

We always visit end September/October time and stay in Agios, the weather at this time of year is lovely too, and of course the sea is just so warm having had all the summer to heat up.

Here is a link to Agios and if you do decide you like the look of the place then am happy to give you some suggestions for accommodation etc :

www.cretetravel.com/guide/agios-nikolaos/

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

aghios nicholas may be worth a look. not to far from the airport and a real traditional feel.enjoy

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

September isn't really out of season at all, everywhere should still be open. All depends on how lively or quiet you really want, most of the resorts will have one or two late bars, remember the Greeks tend to eat later than us brits.

If you want more choice than maybe somewhere like Hersonisos would be up your street. Malia is very lively and probably not what you are looking for but within easy reach if you do want to go mad one night

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

Thanks all much appreciated.

I do really like the look of Agios it sounds like exactly what we have found when we have visited other Greek Islands.

MG100surrey if you have any suggestions on where to stay it will be much appreciated. We like to stay somewhere that offers a B+B option usually.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

Hi Daniel

Check out the Lato hotel which is 20 min pleasant flat walk from the very centre of the town, and 5 mins walk from a lovely sandy beach, its a good traditional Greek owned B & B available independently and also with tour operators too....it does tend to get lots of middle aged tourists but location wise, and value for money, I think you will find it hard to beat...its very popular with returning guests so may well be booked...anyway let me know how you get on, here's a link

http://www.lato-hotel.com.gr/

if you cant get booked into the Lato or don't like the look of it - then happy to give you some other recommendations :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

MG100surrey thank you for the recommendation this place looks lovely. We will be staying at the Lato 100%.

Looks like we will now be coming on the 30th August as it is cheaper to go than it is in September.

Once I have it booked and its all confirmed I will be getting into your ribs for some tips on where to eat and things to do

Dan

Edited: 17 June 2013, 18:23
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,360 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

Hi Dan

Glad you like the Lato it really is a lovely little hotel :-) ....happy to help with any other info I can ...just ask away :-)

8. Re: Resort and Out of season advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17