We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach when it is windy?

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
which beach when it is windy?

When there is wind in Crete, what is the best beach to go?

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach when it is windy?

Assuming that you're asking for swimming and not windsurfing,

Crete's beaches are affected by North, North West, and South winds. Only the, kind of, protected beaches are good to swim and take little effect from the wind. I do know that in Loutro is well protected and also the small of the two Triopetra beaches. There must be others too, that I'm unaware of

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach when it is windy?

Totally depends on which way the wind blows of course, but Matala is a well protected cove with narrow opening to the sea...

3. Re: which beach when it is windy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 07:32
Edited: 08 July 2013, 07:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach when it is windy?

There's no answer to the question. As Tomkathy says, it depends entirely on the direction the wind comes from, and in Crete it can come from any of many directions. Loutro beach is calm most of the time, as it's a deep cove, but if a wind blows straight at it it's impossible to swim (or to eat outdoors: I've seen 10-metre waves crashing against the shore and washing over all the taverna terraces).

"Which beach is best?" depends, too, on where you're staying! Crete is a huge island, and if you're based in a resort on the north west coast it wouldn't be any use to know that Matala, hours away, happens to be calm! So it's best not to chase after a beach that isn't windy, but to stay where you are and wait for the wind to drop, which it will.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach when it is windy?

Hi

Thanks for the answers

I will rent a car so i can go to any beach, dont worry about that

So south beaches are the best then?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach when it is windy?

It depends entirely on which direction the wind comes from.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which beach when it is windy?

»I will rent a car so i can go to any beach, dont worry about that»

Not really! Do you realise how big Crete is? Anyway, as everyone else has said, you can't plan for the wind in Crete. We had a week of howling wind on the south coast one September so don't think south coast is better! In my experience when it blows it's hard to avoid wherever you are, but the local people wherever you are staying should be able to advise you on any (relatively) sheltered beaches nearby.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which beach when it is windy?

Find a beach where the wind blows from the land to the sea or a well protected beach from that direction. If the wind is very strong avoid sandy beaches. Try to phone to the tavernas/hotels near the beach you think is calm, so don't waste time.

greece
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which beach when it is windy?

even if you rent a car, it is best to let us know if you are based closer to Heraklio or Chania .... because from one end to the other could take you 4-5 hours and you arent going to do that just to go to the beach -... perhaps some smaller beaches near Aghia Pelagia-Ligaria beach... have some small coves.... which is easily reachable if you are based close to Heraklio/Hersonissos area.... But they may not be as picturesque as some others.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 18:09
10. Re: which beach when it is windy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 06:22