We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose between villages?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose between villages?

Hello!

I'm going to Crete this August for about 9 days and I don't know in which villages should I stay.

I'm traveling alone and on a budget and I want to experience the real Crete and not the touristic places.

Any advises? :)

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose between villages?

Important info Rita....where would you land? Heraklion or Chania?...it would be essential to know, so we could propose some things near by...

Edited: 09 July 2013, 08:57
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose between villages?

I'm coming from Santorini by ferry and I didn't book it yet, but I guess Heraklion is the option.

Then I fell in this amazing hostel publicity in Plakyas and I'm considering staying there, but I don't really know if they have day tours around the island from there, is it a bad decision, Plakyas?

Thank you in advance!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose between villages?

Plakias is a wise decision if you are traveling on a budget. It's about 2 hours away from Heraklion by bus though. It has 3-4 different little beaches and a large one. Υοu can go as a day trip from there with boat to the Prevelis palm beach. Rodakino and Frangokastello are very nice close beaches

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose between villages?

So I still get to know a bit of real Crete if I stay in Plakyas?

Thank you!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose between villages?

No my friend, Crete is too large to say that you "tasted" the real Crete. You'll have just a picture of what's like in the South of Rethymnon Prefecture.

You'll need many days more to see more beautiful beaches, lagoons, mountains and mountain trails, arcaeological and historical sites, it's beautiful, cities, towns and villages and more important would be to interact with the locals. That will give you the real Crete.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose between villages?

Gerlion, what you've just said reminded me of something the taxi driver who drove me into Chania in January 2000, said.

"No-one knows Crete. Crete is a mystery. Not even we Cretans really know Crete".

Edited: 10 July 2013, 00:47
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose between villages?

Yes I understand that, of course, but my question was if it's better to stay in a place like Chania, for instance, or Plakias is ok too to taste a BIT of Crete... Of course I don't get to know it, but I want to know a bit.

thank you guys :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to choose between villages?

Then stay in Chania, a real working town with a year round population, and, away from the tourist centre, plenty of reality. The bonus is that it's a beautiful city, one of Greece's most beautiful.

Plakias is a tourist resort. It grew out of a village, and if you stayed there several times over several years you'd get to know some of the local people and would begin to glimpse the village that lies beneath the tourist infrastructure; but on a first, short visit you'd see a tourist resort. A nice one, that many people (though not me) love, but a tourist resort.

Most of the Crete's seaside resorts are like that. Georgioupolis and Loutro are two more examples; I could name many more. They grew out of real fishing villages and ports, but the real has been submerged. Many of them are very nice. But if you want to see and experience something of the real Crete, stay in the cities, or in the mountain villages.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 12:05
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to choose between villages?

Alabastron is right, or even more to visit Crete on winter months where there is no tourism. But then again you might miss the beautiful beaches Crete has.

Ps: The taxi driver is quite right! A mystery indeed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to choose between villages?

Gerlion, I agree wholeheartedly about winter. My first winter visit to Crete, in January 2000 (my personal celebration of the Millennium) was one of the very best. In January 2004 I came again, and this time stayed in Heraklion, Rethymnon, and Chania. That was wonderful too.

Gerlion, I didn't even miss the beach. On that first trip, I swam several times at Glyka Nera, and the water was warmer than it is in April. At least it felt warmer, but that may have been because the air temperature was cooler. I was lucky with the weather both times, walked in a t shirt in the sun. Extremely cold at night, though!