We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heraklion hospital

england
Level Contributor
664 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heraklion hospital

Hi anyone know what's around the hospital is it in the middle of town with stuff around or out on a limb.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heraklion hospital

The University Hospital of Iraklion is way out in the western suburbs. The other main hospital, Venizelio, is in the southern suburbs on the Knossos road. If you need medical assistance, there's an excellent Medical Centre in Hersonissos, on the right, part way up the hill on the main road leading west from the resort.

england
Level Contributor
664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heraklion hospital

Think anyone that uses this sight must know how much planning I've done for this holiday but this isn't something I saw coming. My son got a piece of steak stuck in his throat . He went the medical centre but was then sent to the main hospital . his dad was with him i stopped at the apartment with my daughter. Once we got told he was ok but being kept in I wasn't sure if to hang around the area of the hospital or stay by the apartment due to what you said about were it was I stopped by the phone at the apartment. Before we came I asked about places to vist if we hired a car. Well ! just going to get a car but not going to vist any if them loverly places but to go back to the hospital to sign papers. I must add that the hospital is grotty and dirty with people on beds in corridors but the standard of care and friendliness could not have been better. Taxis driver that took them the hospital even went in with them . Andy couldn't believe how much help he was and stoped two hours organising things for them. How do you say thank you for that. Toms ok and needs tests when we get home . Think I need another hols to get over this one and to do some of the things on my to do list. Off topic again but it is a loverly place, crete that is not the hospital

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heraklion hospital

I'm surprised to hear that the hospital is "grotty and dirty", the level of medical care in Greece is generally very good

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heraklion hospital

Sally, what a shame that this happened to throw a spanner in the works. I hope it hasn't spoiled your holiday for you, and that when you get home the memories will be mainly good ones. And I hope your son is quite ok now.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heraklion hospital

Hi there

Sorry your son had to experience the hospital first hand - but pleased that everything is OK :-) The hospital has an excellent reputation and like GB I was surprised to hear that its grotty and dirty - your holiday to Crete will be one you wont forget in a long time - enjoy the rest of your holidays.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,458 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heraklion hospital

Oh no! Sorry to hear of your son's misfortune, but glad he's OK now. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

england
Level Contributor
664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heraklion hospital

He did get very good medical care and or the other patience and family were asking if was on. He out and ok very lucky it didn't stop his air way . In a couple of days when he can eat normally he wonts to return to Kostas he said steak was best yet until it got stuck.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
100 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heraklion hospital

Hi Sally! It's Elaine here (left the Sunrise last Sunday) . So sorry to hear about Tom, hope he is okay now, what a trauma :-( Well, we are back to reality now, back home and it's like we have never been away! The house was in one piece when we arrived back, so that was all good! Is it today that your hubby and Kendal return home? Wish them a safe journey from us and you and Tom have a lovely rest of your hols. Wish we were back at the Sunrise - sunny back home, but very very humid! Take care, Elaine x

england
Level Contributor
664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heraklion hospital

Hi Elaine was really nice meeting you both . Andy and Kendels just gone home and we've moved into your apartment. Having a loverly relaxing time and toms going to enjoy the rest of his hols now.glad house still standing.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heraklion hospital

It is not! After a motorcycle accident, and 7 broken ribs, and a broken ankle , my husband and I were airlifted to the Venezeleio in Crete. It was very very bad. No dignity there and no compassion whatsoever. Apparently it"s the best drs but beside 2 of them that were helpful, they were obnoxious. We did not speak the language, were in another country, were not sure of what was going on and no explanation were given. My husband got operated on his foot. They gave him a epidural to do the operation. I saw him after, freezing in the middle of the operation room as they did not even bothered to give him a blanket. He was then transferred into a room with 7 others. There was no bathroom in the very crowded bedrooms, nor any handicap accessible on the floor. My husband couldn't walk and needed help to get in a wheelchair, there was no staff available and when he ask a male nurse, the guy yelled at him. How was he suppose to go to the only accessible bathroom on the 1 floor? I had to advocate to get pain killers, blanket, pillows. People smoke in the balcony by the room. The Drs smoke in the hospital. The nurses gave me a bed pale for my husband to go to the bathroom. He had no curtain around his bed and 47 people were in the room so he refuse to eat so that he wouldn't go to the bathroom in the middle of all of those people. The hospital has rat traps in the corner of the room. I will never go back there. It was really awful. Except for some very few staff there was no care, compassion or smile there..so bad that our insurance transferred my husband to another private hospital in Heraklion. Whatever happen to you, don't go there...