We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average temperatures

Bergen, Hordaland...
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Average temperatures

What are the average temperatures in the middle of August? I've read that it can be up to 35 degrees celsius, but is it often that high?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average temperatures

Hi there

You can never be 100% accurate with the weather even in the height of the summer - but generally speaking yes temperatures can reach 35 degrees in August and can also reach 40c if there is a heat wave - but you do have the meltemi wind which starts to blow around end of July through to the end of August which takes the sting out of the heat. have a look at this link for more info

www.holiday-weather.com/crete/averages/

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,684 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average temperatures

You really cannot predict from averages. I've never been to Crete in August, but have never experienced worse heat than in June - three Junes, to be precise, once in a heatwave of 39-41C for ten days. April, May, September, and October are my favoured months: I've had more intense heat than the average highs show in all four, and more rain than the average rainfall and number of rain days show in all four. And I've swum in a January sea that has been warmer than it is in April.

The weather will be what it will be, so go and enjoy Crete whatever the weather. In August you can rely on it being hot, and not raining.

(But I had to laugh at the averages on the table in MG100's link. The average highs for August read like blissful coolth as we swelter here in London in much higher temperatures (33.5c / 93f) and now terrible humidity as well. I'm looking forward to cooling off in Crete in early September.)

Edited: 23 July 2013, 22:39
3. Re: Average temperatures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 22:56
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average temperatures

Hi there

Averages are just that, they are compiled over many years, so even a "heat wave" year won't make a huge amount of difference to the averages. Individual days can blow the averages out of the water, so even if the average daily temperature for say June is 25C, it's nothing unusual for it to be ten degrees hotter than that.

5. Re: Average temperatures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21